No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identify this glass find in dorking Surrey england  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help identify this glass find in dorking Surrey england
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »
not sure of the soil type in 'your garden' - I know that both dry chalk and wet acid types are common throughout that part of surrey  -  the latter I'm sure would degrade buried glass quicker than chalky areas.            In years gone by I've dug out some non-wine bottles from dumps in the vicinity and soil type and water table do seem to make a difference to how the glass survives.
Looking at the condition of your piece, my opinion is that it's not that modern, although mechanically made bottles with substantial kicks are still made I believe.

As you'll probably know, there is a small museum just off the western end of Dorking high street, where presumably they have some knowledge of local history and probably artefacts too  -  could be worth popping in for a chat and possible information on local glass works or bottling plants.

I've visited some of the C16 glass making sites mentioned in Kenyon's book  -  it's a very interesting volume and some of the places mentioned are not that far from you, and small pieces with beautiful iridescence can still be found on the surface. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SurreyLou

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts.  The ground here is quite sandy and we live on the edge of a wood.
I will take a trip to the museum and see if I can find out more - the museum had an upgrade recently and is a great  resouce for the town.
Regards
Lou

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 06:11:06 PM »
The Roman glass Pete is a real beauty, similar to rust on the surface, love the colours.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand