No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Seahorses... dates made???  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Mdina Seahorses... dates made???
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
Hi Wolfie,

I well remember your visit to Malta and contributed to your post with the very same ' horse paperweight' pictured here in this thread.

Joseph Said sounds like a really lovely chap and you must have been thrilled to meet him and talk about Mdina.

He did describe them as ' horse paperweights' and not seahorses ....at least it clears that one up.

The Knight chess piece is essentially a horse....nothing more or less. If it is made of glass it can act as a paperweight ....obviously  ;)

I think this 'horse paperweight ' was initially based on a knight chess piece design as I mentioned above...an uncanny resemblance ( IMHO )

So mythfest or not I believe the  design was inspired by a knight chess piece of the Staunton variety .

I've added some pics of another early example (with no neck what-so-ever  :o  :-X )

Have you spoken to Jim Munnelly about these to get his opinion of the design ?

Cheers Mike  & thanks for all your research on the subject  & thanks too, Rosie, for posting the subject !!

Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »
Hi Mike, I have to disagree, there are no facts to back that up. On speaking Joseph he said these were nothing to do with chess pieces.
Just because something looks like something else doesn't mean it was inspired by it.
The myth about chess pieces has been stamped out and IMHO I don't think it is good for research to talk about these horse paperweights with any reference to chess pieces.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »
I think the info. has stuck in my brain this time, Wolfie.  ;D
I promise I will not promulgate the myth any further and will denounce it when I see it in future. 8)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
Wrist slapped. ;D

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
Hi,

Firstly I share WhatHo’s opinion that these were NEVER part of a Chess set .................but have an open mind to whether they were inspired by a chess piece. Unless Joseph Said specifically asked Boffo, we can never know for sure how he had come up with this design.

What is unquestionable is the amazing success of this design that has been produced in huge quantities . It can be likened to the Whitefriars duck that was inspired by a Baccarat duck ( I have this on good authority by an ex worker ).

Just my thoughts,

Patrick.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:18 PM »
Thanks Wolfie ,

Is that checkmate then for my little theory ?...I guess so  ;) 

Many designs can be interpreted  differently ...depending on who is looking at them.

As Patrick said ...I too will continue to keep an open mind.

I really like these pieces and they have been copied too, by other Maltese glass companies ...a real fitting tribute to Boffo .

Mike

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 06:46:24 AM »
Myths are easily perpetuated, especially with the help of 'tinternet. In many situations it is probably much easier to start a myth than spend time and effort researching. Then there is the propensity for us hairless chimps to believe a well told story....

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
Hi,
 Here is an image of the head of the horse that Boffo made whilst at Whitefriars........... 

You can clearly see crimps rather than pulls.

Regards,

Patrick.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 12:07:15 PM »
Hi, what is nick named 'punk' style is the type that is in Mikes Reply #10. The mane hasn't been crimped flat and has only been pinched out with thin nosed pliers.
All other Horse paperweights have the mane pulled out flat first (as in the horse above) and then dents pinched into it.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »
I really like these pieces and they have been copied too, by other Maltese glass companies ...a real fitting tribute to Boffo .

Like my Mtarfa fish one! :)  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,60280.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand