No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harbridge cut tumblers.  (Read 978 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Harbridge cut tumblers.
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »
Hi all,a new name for me and when I first picked them up I thought they may be an Irish firm,but no they are Stourbridge,does anyone know the date of this style of ,I guess water tumblers,many thanks.they are about 9.5 cm in ht.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Harbridge cut tumblers.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 03:01:18 PM »
According to Nigel and Jeanette's booklet;

"This short-lived firm existed from 1924 to 1966, having the second world war curtail their production within that period." They later became absorbed by Webb and Corbett, after a short while of having leased space from them.

If I say any more, I'll be copying out the whole lot of the info in the leaflet!

I have a footed jam dish, it was my Grandma's and so it has sentimental value for me. It too has a wealth of diamond shaped cuts all over it, but it has always fascinated me how the diamond shapes are all differing sizes and of different angles - they are all shaped around the rounded and flared shape of the bowl, the detail in the work is quite amazing. Complicated and difficult stuff.

Do the shapes and sizes of your diamonds all vary to accommodate the shape of the tumbler?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
I don't believe it................   went to post and got the red mist again. :'(

so won't say what I was going to say............ other than the obvious............   use the Boards search facility and you'll find a fair few entries of interest.

As for waisted tumblers, these have been around for eons - this is just another instance of copying.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:27:59 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies,I did look them up before posting and found it all very interesting,i couldn't find much about being able to date their glass,only a short period I know,and perhaps they made this design all the way through?yes I have seen waisted tumblers before Paul and for some reason I've always imagined they're for water,are you saying they could be for whiskey?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
no I wasn't - but yes you could ;D            in fact anything can be for whiskey.

I've a feeling though that tumblers specifically for spirit are usually thickish and heavy bottomed  -  sounds like some of the girls I know ;D ;D

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »
If I said that in my house Paul my post would be in a very high tone :o ::) ;)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »
Apologies Sue,I've just re read your post and yes they do very slightly,getting smaller towards the perfectly proportioned bottoms. 8)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:12:29 PM »
now that is an ass - et. ;)                    only joking of course, I hope none of the ladies was offended  -  think I might have had Queen's track in mind about large bottomed girls.

Nigel and Jeanette's booklet is a must if you're into cut modernist and post-modernist glass from the start of the deco period up until the 1960's.
Not easy to find though I don't think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand