No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh E.&L. Crystal platter  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Edinburgh E.&L. Crystal platter
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
not sure if it is a platter, cake tray or  even a trinket tray, but attractive cutting and at least we know who made it.
Something like 11.5" (290 mm) long.

According to Roger Dodsworth's 'British Glass between the wars', this backstamp - using the word crystal in the mark - was in use from about 1927 and on through the 1930's but the condition of the piece suggests it might be more recent in date.

If anyone knows a pattern name or has a better suggestion for the date of the mark, it would be great to know.   thanks :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Edinburgh E.&L. Crystal platter
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »
I found the dates for E&L Crystal here.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=182&Itemid=6
I recently had to, found a biscuit barrel with this mark on it. Sometimes older glass just didn't get used a lot, or shoved in a cabinet and left alone. It can be remarkably unworn. My (not staying mine!) biscuit barrel is remarkably unworn.

My brother might be able to find a pattern name, I'll ask him.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:02:52 PM »
thanks for that Sue - appreciate the help.            So, looks to be a mark used up until the end of the 1930's, which does run counter to my first thoughts bearing in mind the lack of wear - honestly it looks to have been made in the last five years - but am sure you're right about some things not seeing a lot of use.              Can't imagine glass biscuit barrels having been in fashion for many a long year - think they were popular in the couple of decades prior to the second war and perhaps a little after.           I've also have a couple of them, but without provenance - oval in cross-section - I think it was a deco shape - it seems quaint now, and don't think there is another piece of utility glass that shares this shape - perhaps a small mustard maybe.   

Discounting drinking glasses, I don't see much E. & L. older pieces down here, probably all up your neck of the woods.              Look forward to hearing some time if your brother is able to find a pattern name. :) 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »
Your plate looks a bit "art cut", that's the sort of thing my brother likes. I don't believe E&L did very much "art cut" at all. Here's the biscuit barrel.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
thanks Sue  -  so yours is circular then, unlike some which were a sort of oval  -  attractive by the way  -  what is the height as a matter of interest?                  Would agree this platter is certainly not the usual run of the mill criss-cross mitres  -  it does have a more geometric patterned look.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
Your plate looks a bit more "floral" than just plain geometric. Possibly semi-art cut?

The barrel itself is 6" tall, with the lid on, 8". At the moment, it looks even worse than usual, because I've stuck a bit of kitchen roll between lid and base to prevent any damage happening.
Even the base of the rim of the lid is polished and arrised.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »
quite right - poor choice of words on my part.      Would your describe it as a modernist art design? - bearing in mind the period from which it comes.

know what you mean gel about 'arrased - my oh give me some grief at times and then I'm well 'arrased. ;) ;)

But jokes aside............an arris is that sharp edge where two flat surfaces meet - usually a right angle.            The reason I say all of this is because I was wondering if you might have meant that the arris had been bevelled.
With glass - when two surfaces meet at a sharp edge, there is massive tendency for chipping  -  which is why often the arris is bevelled.

If I have misinterpreted your words then apologies ........ ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »
I was referring to the arrising being the bevel.
So the base of the rim of the lid is polished flat, and arrised. (to prevent chipping at the right-angled edge which would otherwise have been there. (It's not right-angled now, it's got the arris.)
I suppose modernist might be the correct term, given the time period - but it is all before my time. ;)
I tend to use modernist in describing my preference in classical music, that encompasses much of 20th century stuff. I don't know how it is really used in other fields.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »
quite right - and everything is before my time too ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »
Sue  -  Woodward (The Story of Edinburgh Crystal) says that "There are 14 substantial volumes of Edinburgh Crystal's pattern books persevered at Penicuik etc. etc. ............  I know we have spoken of these in recent years on the Board, but I don't know if they are still at that location.

Are you saying that Michael has access to these pattern books/catalogues?? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand