No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cobalt blue overlay beakers? vases English bohemian?  (Read 620 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Cobalt blue overlay beakers? vases English bohemian?
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:14 PM »
Thanks to Paul mainly i have been reading a fair few books on old glass, this pair have a lovely lead crystal ring and look 1840's in date, Richardson made a lot of similar glass, almost all of this type of glass is given a bohemian label, it must of taken a real effort to make these, they even have a hand made facet cut to the upper bowl, no idea what they are for or who made them, or a date, any thoughts.

4 3/4 inches in height, 3 1/2 inches across the rim.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Cobalt blue overlay beakers? vases English bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:55:24 AM »
I would think this is Borussia glass made by Carl Schappel in Bohemia circa 1900.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
Thanks Ivo, the ones you mention look better quality, were any of the Borussia pieces ever gold gilded?.
Chris Parry

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
maybe also worth searching Josephinenutte.
example here
http://www.glaswolf.de/Grosser_Biedermeierp.288+B6YmFja1BJRD0yODgmcHJvZHVjdElEPTE5NDYzJnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTI4OCZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

They look very 'contemporary', for want of  a better word, because the cutting is quite simple and mostly because all the gilding has worn away, so it's difficult to see what they might look like when completely covered in the squiggly gilding. i.e. They might look older.
Having said that, the star on the base may indicate latter half 19th or early 20th and the indented foot is quite unusual I think.  I don'treally know about that.  You will need to do some searching.  I have searched upwards of 2000 bechers so far trying to match my decanter and have only come up with two  ;D
possibles.

But I have come across that banded cutting before.  So perhaps as I say, do some searching on Josephinenhutte and on Dr Fischer auctions and see what you find.
m

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »
When ever i see this thick cut glass i buy it. i can't get enough of it.

Love the goblet in the link and the Richardson link piece posted. The goblet in the link looks very similar, the work involved, the age, the fact they have survived all amazes me.

Myself being a "jack of all trades and master of none" i have a basic knowledge of everything and  i collect everything that catches my eye, i do have a soft spot for old glass though.

The one's in my post here i think are old, not 1900's or later, i wish you could just pick them up and have a look.
Chris Parry

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 04:19:05 PM »
There is one in one of my books with the indented foot base and similarish bands and lenses around a bulging band like yours at the foot.
That's 1850's Neuwelt.  So I'm not so worried about the indented foot now.  However these shapes and decorations went on for years (still do I guess) and everything else needs to be taken into account to date it ie. the double overlay, the colour of the glass and the colour of the blue, the gilding squiggles/vermicular pattern etc. so you will need to have a good look around to try and match all the 'markers'.
There's a vase in the Harrach book with the vermicular pattern on it ,dated 1860s
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »
Harrach show a vase in the book, page 167 with the vermicular pattern on it - vase dated c.1860.

So it seems to have been in vogue at that time.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand