No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl. ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 67791 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
This lovely art cut (Sue taught me that one) fruit bowl in amber cut to uranium has foiled my attempts at ID so far. Can anyone help please. It's unmarked and 8.5 or 21.5 cm diameter,.
(Many thanks to PC for importing it and no DE can't have it)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl ID please
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »
I can see the point in cut glass when colour is involved - this is just lovely.
Can D or D have it?  ;)

I think we need Nigel.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
agree it's very attractive, but so too is some clear Georgian cut glass from c. 1800 - in candlelight, limpid pools of shimmering leaden beauty  ;) ;)

sorry, no idea as to provenance for this  -  how about Czechoslovakian  -  does it have any age related wear, or is it pristine, Christine ;D  ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »
It's certainly not new. My age guess would be 20-50s

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
Val St Lambert made colour cut to uranium but I couldn't see anything on searching.
Hopefully Anne will be able to help if it is.
Gorgeous colours.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
I'm dim on this type of thing, but to my eyes it lacks the quality and breadth of cutting style you'd expect from VSL  -  much of which has more of a deco or modernist cutting pattern, and not a simple naturalistic style like Christine's, which doesn't appear to be style of cutting from the '20's or '30's.                    I'd still plump for Czech., perhaps German.

If you look at examples of Novy Bor (Karel Wunsch) cut bowls in Mark Hill's book  -  which I know are different colours, lack Uranium and are abstract cutting styles  -  but there is some similarity of modern coloured casing/cut to clear, which made me think of Czech.             Could be well wrong of course.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
It does rather lack the "monumental-ish-ness" of VSL coloured and cut stuff. (I have rung doorbells on some posh London street to get into the sort of shop which has them, doing my "tourist" act.)

I do have a fabulous coloured Karel Wunsch cut vase from '64 - the cutting is far less naturalistic and more geometric than your bowl, Christine.

The joys come from all the profiles made by the cuts in the colours, as you rotate it. It can start looking like Easter Island heads or even devils sometimes. :)

I imagine this is a keeper, Christine? It's absolutely glorious, whatever it is. The most important thing is, its yours. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »
Paul I agree.  I mention because the amber looks orange rather than amber and I found this
http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/144355/scarce-c1920-val-st-saint-lambert-richepin-saarloius-orange-cut-to-clear-wine-hock-glass/

Also they did do cut to uranium ( though I've not found anything in this colour over uranium admittedly  :-[ )

And also, I've been searching cut overlay glass for glass with an 8 point star cut on it and seemed to recall that the only maker I'd come across (apart from Russian (possibly Baccarat though I thought)  and Boston and Sandwich (possibly) so far) that had a star, appeared to be VSL).   ;D

But I do agree.  It's not as contemporary looking really, but once you view it in the round it's quite spectacular with the cutting and colours.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
see one above this in my post
and this one
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Schale-mit-Uberfang-und-Tiefschnitt-Dekor-Val-St-Lambert-um-1900-/252076785477?hash=item3ab0f27f45

and another where the comment is that the pink over uranium creates an orange effect
http://www.antiques-belgium.com/joly-antiquites/724.html

I know they are not identical but I think VSL worth investigating.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand