No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl. ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 67784 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl ID please
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 06:15:30 AM »
Thanks for those links M. I had considered VSL as a possibility but those you found look more sophisticated. Mine is definitely amber over uranium. not pink.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »
Colourwise, the first of M's links is very convincing. It mentions overlays of green, yellow and amber, but I assume the uranium is what's being mistaken for the 'green overlay'. VSL was my first thought as well for C's bowl.

Forgot to say: it's only on loan Christine...  ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
 :P to you DE

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »
Besides the fact that it's a nice piece, I also find this one a really tricky one... the shape of the bowl is not unfamiliar but then the pattern is ... and they did use this orange which they called 'Aurore' ...why they had to call it like that when everybody else in the world calls it orange, is a mystery to me, but that's beside the point...

All previous comments make sense, it could well be VSL .... but as mentioned before, the pattern is unusual and the symmetry not what you'd expect from this period.

From what I have been told is that they stopped the uranium crystal quite early, once they realised it could affect heath and used coloured glass instead. Therefor not much is known or left documentation wise, but usually you'd see a stronger colour, ranging front reds and  pinks, to green and different shades of blue.

I'll have a look in my books to see what else is mentioned about VSL and this type of glass once I'm back home ... I'm abroad for work at the moment..... sorry I can't be of more help for now....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »
I shall wait to hear from you, thank you. (I saw a VSL exhibition at the Leerdam museum and the cut to uranium stuff was to die for)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 05:08:32 PM »
but usually you'd see a stronger colour, ranging front reds and  pinks

Don't you just love auto spelling  ::) .... ranging from reds etc... sorry, noticed too late...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
Anne - don't worry in the slightest - a very minor and obvious typographical error :)    normally, your English is impeccable. 

However, there's a high frequency of mis-spelling of words such as their and too, which is surprising from people who have English as their first tongue     .........  and then there are folk who say......    ""well, what does it matter - you know what I mean, so wos the problem"  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »
And there are the folk like me with my black marker pen, and white-out, eliminating grocers' apostrophes from posters or adding them, if required for the possessive ... ;)

(Then getting a lovely message from Kev, who had kindly refrained from pointing out my spelling mistook and lack of spaces here. In time for me to correct them!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 07:32:20 PM »
And there are the folk like me with my black marker pen, and white-out, eliminating grocers'apostropes from posters or adding them, if required for the possessive ... ;)

Yeah, same here but it makes such a mess on my screen.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
personally, I avoid cliches like the plague ;) :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand