No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl. ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 67799 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Art cut amber to uranium lead crystal fruit bowl ID please
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 06:39:39 PM »
yes can see it's completely different in 'spirit' but just adding it for comparison.
Also different eras will mean different designs I think? So what I mean is that although that one is more 'traditional' in design, it's not to say the same company didn't do more 'arty' versions at a later date if you see what I mean?
how tall is your bowl Christine because that one is the same diameter as yours I think.
m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Haven't been to VSL to ask yet but it's planned later this week...
The shape's known at VSL, but again, not seen the pattern before... here's a link of a similar shape, different pattern ..... had it in my hands a little while ago and the cutting was a bit more delicate ....

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Imposant-coupe-centre-de-table-en-Val-saint-Lambert-piece-unique-signe-T657-91-/391091483882?hash=item5b0ede74ea

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
That one looks similar again Anne but is bigger isn't it and so quite a bit deeper than either the S&W ebay one or Christine's I think.  Both look very slightly less 'squared' off at the bottom than Christine's but that might just be angles again.
Christine is it possible to add a photo of yours angled or rather tilted towards the camera slightly, showing an elipse of the rim all the way round as per the ebay one?  It's helpful to see them at the same angle and also there is the other VSL bowl I posted that is angled tilted like that as well.
m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
Yes, it is a size up but already in the 20ies they did models in different sizes, but anyway, it was just a reference re shape... we'll no for sure whether it is VSL or not later this week.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 04:57:05 PM »
Although unusual, I thought English when I first saw the post. It will be interesting how the ID turns out...

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2015, 09:40:58 AM »
I have been yesterday, and unfortunately I had to deal with 'the wicked witch'... as expected, she was way too 'busy' to deal with my requests ::) ... had a quick look at your bowl but couldn't say whether it was or not, with me running after her through the shop  :D... funny (not as in funny haha) how some people get so caught up in their self importance, they won't allow any space for anybody else ... in the end I'm not asking for the end of the world, if you know what I mean ... just 5 minutes of their time ...

My 'repairman' had a look as well.... he basically said the same thing as I have ... it could well be, but he'd expect to see a clearer 'taillage' or cut on the bowl.... he also mentioned, and he's said it before, that for some reason, not everything was catalogued, but why is a mystery...

I went to drop off some pieces that need to be repolished because of the odd, tiny chip here and there, but I need to return to collect these items again of course, so hopefully, when I'll ask again, the younger and more helpful lady will be there....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
Thank you for asking. Good luck next time

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
Apparently Gräfliche Josephinenhütte Siegfried Haertel c.1930
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/Art-Deco-Kristall-Glas-Vase-Grafliche-Josephinenhutte-Siegfried-Haertel-um-1930-/252004454295?hash=item3aaca2cf97

apparently these also and they have an 8 point cut star not a 6 point
http://www.ebay.de/itm/JOSEPHINENHUTTE-Glas-Karaffe-6-Glaeser-Dekor-SIEGFRIED-HAERTEL-1921-/381312633779?nma=true&si=NuN%252Fan0oLfi8n5Sxnh7C8FM03VI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

may be worth investigating.  I don't have the books unfortunately as I'd love someone to check up on my blue lidded cup as well.

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
Sorry for the long wait, but it always takes a little while to have enough pieces to drop off and do the 1,5 hour drive, but today I have been again to have several pieces repaired and popped in while I passed the showroom, to ask about your bowl and some of my own pieces.

The 'unhelpful' lady was absent... thank goodness ... and somebody from the office had to be called forward, to answer my questions, and I very much appreciated that they found a few spare minutes to answer my questions....   I learned that things are up and running again at VSL, and they are very busy reorganizing and preparing the opening of a shop in Dubai. The few minutes turned out into nearly an hour, and not because of me, but the designer, Delvaux.

I'm no groupie, but this gentleman is the son of Delvaux who worked for VSL ages ago, who was an apprentice of Charles Graffart himself ... I nearly wet myself! To meet somebody directly linked to a very important period and designer at VSL, who's only human too of course,  but I only know about  from my books, was ... well ... the girls probably understand me when I say better than chocolate.  :D

He took one look at the bowl ands said it definitely was made by VSL, the registration for the shape is n° 1402, and a rough date he put on it was 1900-1920. He did admit that not many houses did this kind of crystal, which made it easy for him to identify it. He did explain that certain patterns are not always registered, as VSL was not the most disciplined of companies when it came to that, but more important, they encouraged designers and cutters to be creative and artistic, as long as it was in harmony with the item and period, and therefor certain pieces might be different from one another.

I had my tablet with me and he wanted to see my own collection, which I did of course, and he was very impressed and at one point ecstatic,  not only with the pieces but also with the quality of images and he wants to use my pictures for his own work, as reference and inspiration for future designs! I can't believe it! To be able to provide photos and images, to help re-launch VSL ... my wildest dream come true 8) ... I did put in as condition, that I am not to blame if it doesn't work out.

So thank you for posting this bowl, because without it, I wouldn't have had the morning that I did ... I'm still on a high  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »
Yesssss  ;D

Anne thanks for posting about your visit (sounds wonderful and very exciting) and confirming it's VSL.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand