No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large 19th century Millefiori Paperweight ID Help please  (Read 1670 times)

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
Large 19th century Millefiori Paperweight ID Help please
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »
Hello Everyone,
i have just come across this attractive and large 19th century Millefiori Paperweight,
i would say its a Magnum Sized with a diameter of 10.5 cm
it has a Snapped Pontil Mark and mainly White Canes.

i was Hoping someone may Recognise the Canes or the General design and Attribute it to a factory.

Thank you for reading
Kind Regards Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Large 19th century Millefiori Paperweight ID Help please
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
Hi Steven,

It looks Old English to me. I am not sure which factory but if I had to guess I would say Arculus... It is not my area of expertise so it is a only a guess.

Alan (Tropdevin) will be able to tell you/correct me when he comes on the board. In the meantime you may wish to have a look at his website (www.pwts.co.uk): he has quite a lot of info on Old English paperweight.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »

Hi Steven .  I agree with SophieB - it is very likely Old English, from Arculus or Walsh Walsh - the general untidy design and the way the canes are treated underneath, and the button base, are consistent with their products.  It is unusual to have an Old English design based on a mainly single colour of cane though (white in this case), which adds to the interest.  In terms of date, it is unlikely to be 19th century - more likely 1920s.  The only other thought that crosses my mind is that it might just be a poor Richardson paperweight - a couple of the canes look a little like their style.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »
Thank you SophieB and Alan, as suggested i have look through lots of examples of Old English weights especially Arculus. i must say i cannot find any similar examples with the mostly single colourway. i think il have to do some Deeper research.

thank you so much for your Knowledge
kind regards Steven

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
Hi Steven

You are right that it is hard to find examples with a dominant colourway - hence my comment 'unusual' - but Arculus did make some unusual designs, such as the chequers and one known example of a panelled weight.  Many of their paperweight set-ups were assembled by young members of the family for pocket money, and according to one I have been in touch with (now aged 92) they had very little guidance on design - it was left to children aged 11 or 12 to decide!
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »
Thank you for all of the information, i couldn't find anything concrete in the way of extra information on this.

i do not tend to do this with items i have shown on here as i keep the majority. but i am going to list this weight on Ebay starting tomorrow night, mainly as i would rather buy something else i would keep in the collection
kind regards Steven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand