No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Exhibition,  (Read 2329 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Chance Exhibition,
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
Ta Stuart, I can see you  ;D ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
Me too  ;)

Regarding the lady in #7, that is Mary Lee a volunteer. Here's a few more photos from the exhibition:

1. A cabinet with my contributions. Some laboratory ware, but also the rare, pre-1939, turquoise Spiderweb bowl at the rear, with an equally rare flared and fluted Lotus bowl just in front. Then an Elegance tray, followed by Cut Pearl olive tray. Willow on the left and Wild Rice on the right.

2. Towards the end, when the crowds had died down, it was possible to photo part of the exhibition. The lady on the left is Janet Binnell, who co-organised the exhibition. Not sure why the lady visitor needs to wrap up so warm!

3. A very rare Aqualux soup bowl in Pink Maxine, donated by Stuart. Maxine is the pattern name for the textured glass and the 'Pink' is very similar to the Plum colour of the much later Carnival range. Surrounding this are rare frigger swans and a large, clunky ashtray all from the effects of a former worker.

4. A cabinet of items from the daughter of a former worker. The large items on the right are frigger galleon bookends, in the centre is a satinated frigger swan, an amethyst candleholder (pre-1939) and various napkin rings. Flanking these are two Cato bowls in a scarce hand-painted floral decor.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
Your pictures came out better than mine, had a real problem with reflections, do you think this is similar to the swans in the third photo ?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 03:07:57 PM »
Yes, I think so - it looks as though the tail was made into a rest for a cigarette and the sides are very similarly styled. The little crest on top of the head is also the same. I'm happy to say this is a Chance frigger.

The only way to avoid flash reflections is to switch the flash off and rely on natural daylight (but not direct sunlight) - not possible here, of course when the items are behind glass! But your camera should adjust the ISO rating (don't ask) making lower light shots (with no flash) much easier.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »
Any iridescent glass made by Chance? Always remember seeing a Spiderweb bowl in Oxfam years back, it had a blue or grey iridescence, but not very strong.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 05:36:25 PM »
Yes, in my second book it features a Spiderweb vase with amber iridescence. I also have one with a light blue iridescent finish. They are very scarce, so I'm happy to take them off your hands! 😀
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
The article on the exhibition was in this weeks 'Black Country Bugle' page 3, it also mentions ....' the pre-eminent researcher and author of two excellent books' our own Mr D. Encill, even I got a mention !  ::) ;D ;D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 03:23:55 PM »
Oh Gawd...  :-[
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »
Here's a link in the Bugle dated 25th Oct 2012, about Chance Brothers, which mainly quotes from Charles Dickens' Houshold Words.

http://www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/spectacle-exquisite-beauty/story-20148107-detail/story.html

Now, where do I get my hands on a copy of this current issue?  ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline cherryt

• Members
  • Love all things vintage!
    • Chance Glass mainly
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »
Aww I missed this one, when and where was the exhibition please?
CherryT
Rockabilly Babe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand