No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rijksmuseum glass collection  (Read 672 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Rijksmuseum glass collection
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
Am going to the Rijksmuseum next week and desperately want to see any glass collection.
Is it out on exhibit - I've a weird recollection reading that one had to ask to see the glass?  Or was that something else?
Thanks for any info.  I appreciate it.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Rijksmuseum glass collection
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
The new set up is weird - various rooms are now designed to reflect periods, so the glass is all over the place, rather than all together. I did find a section on modern design, which did contain a fair bit of glass, not the best displayed though. It was a bit cupboardy/storeroom-ish.

I do with folk would leave museums alone! I can't be doing with this modern notion of huge empty rooms, having to walk miles and miles to try to find anything you do want to see, hidden amongst other stuff.
They're getting as bad as supermarkets. >:(  ;)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »
Hi ,
      The glass is now back on display though not as much as before and in my opinion not that well displayed being crammed into a large wall display which I am sure is too tall for many as some others are to low for many to have a proper look at ,glass is also featured in the dateline rooms with other objects from the same period , there are several rooms.some great stuff though as you would expect .

cheers ,
    Peter,

ps don't forget the other museums with glass in Amsterdam,and of course the Spieglestraat for antique glass and general antiques.

ooops  was beaten to it , there is a dedicated room , the one the with the naff display with a lot of glass , that's on the ground floor I think .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 03:30:57 PM »
Thanks both :) I shall be prepared to walk and find somewhere for OH to have coffee in the meantime.
Spiegelstraat lovely but I fear too expensive for me I'm afraid.  I still like to have a potter though.
But haven't been for a few years and the museum was only part open last time we went - still wonderful and probably nicer because it was limited so there was plenty of time to relish the paintings (me)/ whizz round and see it all in five mins with audio quickguide and find another art exhibition and have coffee before I'd even come out (him).

Peter, did you see my question on Rosenborg Castle glass please?
Thanks
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:39:07 PM »
When we're there for a long weekend we normally buy the museum card, it gets you in to just about everything, and we like the convenience the card gives us of being able to go in and out of the same museum several times, we don't have to cram it all in to one visit, and it also means we can use the loos or cafe in any museum we're passing, we can just pop in, then leave again.
Doubly handy if we're going back within a year, we can still use the same card.

It is, however, a matter of working out how much it would cost to visit all the museums you want to, and see if the card would be cheaper in the long run. Even if it works out to be the same, the convenience of being able to pop in and out can make a difference. We also found it cut down on queuing to get into things.

The big "store-room" bit is more modern glass rather than old.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
Have not been there myself yet as i was not mobile, also serously unimpressed with the Rijksmuseum glass collection. 
cannot invite you over either because I'm in Spain right now. De looier antique centre on Looiersgracht may be a more rewarding trip.

In any case, if you go to Rijksmuseum, make sure you pre-book a ticket online or suffer a long queue.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:04:31 PM »
Thanks Ivo :)
Have brought back many wonderful things from De Looier over the years - love looking in there.
I will pre-book our tickets I think just so we know what we're doing.  We have very limited time and tend to plan it precisely so we can fit everything in.
I have sent you an email.

Sue, thanks for the tip - we're only there for a very short period though every couple of years so a flying visit really. But will follow your instructions and whip round as many rooms as I can.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
Well I must have missed something? 

I did go to a museum elsewhere (thank you Ivo) the Willet-Holthuysen, and see a lovely 'bijou' collection of beautiful glass - not well lit if you wished to see detail and photograph it but nonetheless, some gorgeous and interesting pieces (maybe 50 or so?) and quite a diverse collection in terms of shapes/colours/designs  so it was interesting.
Some photos on tripadvisor here-
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188590-d189386-Reviews-Willet_Holthuysen_Museum-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html#photos

They had a little more glass downstairs in cabinets, but it was unlit in dark wood cabinets and I really struggled to see it and take some pics.  Had to flash photograph from an angle over the security cord and through the glass to even see that the glass had coloured stems.
This link is a good example of how badly lit and how difficult to photograph
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188590-d189386-Reviews-Willet_Holthuysen_Museum-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html#photos

The Rijksmuseum did contain a small selection of exquisite pieces, but if I'm honest it was a bit disappointing for me.  I was expecting the equivalent of the V&A in terms of quantity of selection of glass and it was not so, no where near so - but perhaps that was my preconceptions.

I went around two floors asking the helpers, none of whom were able to tell me where I might find glass.  The ground floor person at reception was not able to either.  Eventually I found  about 8 Persian sprinklers.  On the second floor a collection of Rock Crystal carved pieces (they were unbelievably  well displayed and utterly stunning - I dream about owning a piece of rock crystal or a jewelled jade piece  ;D ).  They were truly worth seeing. 

I was then directed to the third floor where I found  a collection of about 24 pieces of yellow pressed glass and was told that was all there was there on that side.

I ended up on the ground floor where I'd been directed as the only place there might be glass (though the person wasn't entirely sure about it) in the Special Collection section (through ships and dresses and Delftware) and found a small 4/5 cabinet section - lots of stipple engraved goblets and other engraved goblets (Peter I see what you mean about the display heights),  a longish low level display of Roemers (not that many and not really my interest) and  17th century glass(might have been wider age than 17th ?? )... which was pretty, and wonderful to see it close up, but not a lot of it.  And I think that was it.  Not many coloured pieces, mostly clear glass in there apart from the green roemers.  The engraving was stupendous of course.  OH fortunately was interested in the technique of the stipple engraved glasses which I knew he would be.

And fortunately the Rembrandts made the whole thing worth doing.  Utterly wonderful.

Yes it was lovely to see the glasses, but honestly, whilst I do appreciate that it's fantastic to see them in real life, if I'd known I was going to view a collection that small I think I would have thought twice about going.

What was a bit disconcerting was that none of the helpers I spoke to at the Rijksmuseum could really direct me to any glass with any certainty.   

It was as though glass was something that got chucked in at the end when they were deciding how they were going to put it all back after the refurb.
And we did not have time to spend hours walking the entire museum hoping to come across a lucky break. 

I feel mean  writing this -  and seeing them in real life of course beats photographs every time.  But I'd highly recommend the V&A if you are after seeing a diverse and inspiring collection of glass in a museum.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »
Unfortunately, most museums have practically no interest in glass at all.
It has not been recognised as art yet.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand