No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salviati enamelled girasol goblet  (Read 3306 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Salviati enamelled girasol goblet
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
Is there an opalesence which is just milky blue and yellow then, no red fire? The arsenic one?

I've got a bit of contemporary Polish studio glass which is absolutely full of fire (the whole reason I bought it) brand new in Poland, from the Institute of Glass and Ceramics showroom in Krakow.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »
Ambrosiaschale is how this one is described and yours appears to be a 'take-off' of exactly the shape of this bowl amazingly so there must be a name for it somewhere I'd guess - maybe ambrosia is the name in Italian as well?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Ambrosiaschale-Riesengebirge-1-Halfte-18-Jhd-H-9-5cm-/391229252287?hash=item5b1714a2bf

Wikipedia says
'Ambrosia
In ancient Greek mythology, ambrosia is sometimes the food or drink of the Greek gods, often depicted as conferring longevity or immortality upon whoever consumed it. Wikipedia'

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 12:06:14 AM »
Ambrosia dish is the generic name for this scalloped shape - I've never come across it either.  Probably a term used by museum people.

there is no law that says all opalescent glass is this or that - there are many recipes, with tin, arsenic, bone ash, all three or 2 or 1 . In studio glass anythjng may happen.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 12:56:45 AM »
Harold Newman: An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass states ...
ambrosia dish. ... type of dish ... asymmetrically shaped ... form of an oval bowl ... irregularly lobed rim ... small curling handle ... stemmed foot ... ... ornate decoration rococo style ...

On that basis, stemmed bowls with regular (i.e. symmetrical) shapes and without a small curled handle and with no ornate rococo decoration, are not really "ambrosia dishes".

But perhaps the term has evolved (among museum curators etc.) to include all stemmed bowls with some fancy shaping which may be used for serving all sorts of foods - maybe even Ambrosia creamed rice, straight out of a tin can.  :)
KevinH

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
Definitely a symmetrical shape this one.

Thanks all, I had wondered about scalloped but I think if I am asked about it I may just whistle quietly and pretend I have not heard!

Edited to add:
A little more info from the book I mentioned in my second post relating to the similar glass: it is described as four lobed...form derived from a type of Bohemian Baroque glassware...similar to a green goblet donated by Salviati & C in 1876 to the Museo Artistico Industriale di Roma...two more almost identical held at the Museo Borgogna in Vercelli.

Sorry - completely overlooked the notes in the back of the book. :-[

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
I agree Kev - I think it might have been 'appropriated' to use on lobed bowl on a stem but not necessarily by museum people :)
The bowls I often see described as Ambrosia bowls do have the curled bit and are boat shaped ish. So they are probably described as per your description.
John, I have seen a piece described as end 16th century Venetian, with 6 lobes, in a French museum collection .  It isn't described as an ambrosia bowl, just as a bowl with a stem. 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand