No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salvador or Paul Ysart inkwell?  (Read 7236 times)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Salvador or Paul Ysart inkwell?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 02:17:48 AM »
Thanks Gary, Kevin, and Alan.

I had the impression that a perfume bottle will often have a long pointed stopper so the owner can dip into the perfume and then touch (dab) the perfume to whatever body part is to be scented.

Just an observation.  I'm not a collector of scent bottles.  I agree there is no consistency among paperweight related objects.

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »

Did anyone really use these bottles for ink or scent?  I doubt it very much.  Surely the names are just notional, and so you call them what you wish?

Alan
Whilst agreeing very few people nowadays use Monart inkwells or scent bottles for their intended purposes.
When Monart was first produced it was intended for practical use and not just a decorative item and as such were marketed as vases for flowers,fruit bowls, inkwells, scent bottles ect.
As a Monart collector and researcher it is important for me to learn the differences between Monart pieces and to be able to categorise them. To me what they are called is not notional,but very real.
If we followed your argument a stage further, we could call paperweights, lumps of glass with some glass inside, as nobody uses paperweights to hold down paper on a desk anymore (or very few).
Gary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »
I am "one of the few"!! I do use paperweights, including Ysart ones, for that purpose.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand