No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sklo Union ''Vase'' Help  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Dingledodger

• Members
    • UK
Sklo Union ''Vase'' Help
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Greetings,

I'm hoping someone will be able to kindly enlighten me as to the designer/glass factory responsible for this ''vase''. As you can see, each face has optic lozenges, squares and circles both in relief and impressed, alternating around the vase. It is unusual for a Sklo Union piece in that the rim has been ground, polished and chamfered on the outer edge and doesn't have the typical ''bird bath'' base, rather a molded basal rim with an applied disc to centre. It measures 17 x 15 x 17cm high and weighs a whopping 3kg.

Thanks in advance, Ben

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Sklo Union ''Vase'' Help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »
Hi Ben, welcome to the board!
Interesting vase, if it didn't have the "Bohemia" label I would never have guessed that it was Czech.
It looks like it is mould blown rather than pressed, which would exclude the Sklo Union factories I think (to my knowledge they only made pressed glass).
Sorry, not much help I'm afraid...
You could look through Jindrich's great website on Czechoslovakian Glass (particularly through old issues of Glass Revue): http://www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Michael

Offline Dingledodger

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Now that you mention it, yes of course it's mould blown: not Sklo Union. A mystery then for now. Does the bohemia label tally with it being a 1950's/60's/70's piece do you think, or is it perhaps more modern? I bought it with sufficient ingrained dust and grime for it to seem at least 30-40 years old but there is of course a degree of assumption made therein. Further help welcomed as I can't find a match on the Czech Glass website/Glasrevue issues. I wonder if it is even Czech... A nice piece of design either way IMO.

Ben

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:18:44 AM »
It's almost certainly Czech with that label and your date period seems right for the style.

Offline Dingledodger

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
Any further input on this one folks?

Ben

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum