No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help with proposal to my girlfriend...  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Jimbobcook

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Need help with proposal to my girlfriend...
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
Evening from a rainy Part of the UK, I am on this site to hopefully get someone willing to help me get my proposal sorted for when I ask my better half next year...

I'm looking at making a copy of the cinderella glass slipper big enough to be a proper shoe to look at but doesn't have to be able to fit as I know that would be tough!

I have attached 2 pictures of the old and new shoe, the old I'm guessing would be much easier/cheaper and the new one looks like crystal...

I would love to hear people's thoughts on whether this is 1 possible or 2 affordable for a normal human... Anyone up for the challenge?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Need help with proposal to my girlfriend...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:43:33 AM »
Hi Simon, welcome to the glass message board.

This is a question which I'm sure you get a lot of answers to  - but maybe it would be better to give her the keys to the pumpkin instead.

"Glass"  in glass slipper is a faulty translation from the French "vair" which means squirrel fur, so not "verre" which is glass. I'd be highly suspicious of wearable ones.

If you look on google image (as I'm sure you did) you will find many fancy miniatures. The closest thing I could see was a 6" plexiglass one on Etsy, used as cake decoration or childrens parties.  It would set you back 5 pounds or so affordable for a joke and disposable.

Good luck.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jimbobcook

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:22:19 AM »
If you look on google image (as I'm sure you did) you will find many fancy miniatures. The closest thing I could see was a 6" plexiglass one on Etsy, used as cake decoration or childrens parties.  It would set you back 5 pounds or so affordable for a joke and disposable.

Morning,

Thanks for your reply :)

I have indeed looked around on Google etc, I have found many tiny versions like the swarovski cinderella slipper etc but I am after the full size version as my other half is so very picky with jewellery I have decided to propose with the glass slipper just like in the movie then the next day she can choose her ring from a normal boring shop haha

It does not really have to fit that is just a big bonus but it does need to be normal size for a human :P

Oh and if you can find the pumpkin carriage then I will take that aswell...

Cheers

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »
To give you an idea of what could be done and the cost you could contact one of the glassworks in the Country and ask them, one such place very near to me is 'The House of Marbles' which are 'TVG', Teign Valley Glass. Google them and give them a call and email them the picture, I'm sure they would be very helpful.

Offline Jimbobcook

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »
To give you an idea of what could be done and the cost you could contact one of the glassworks in the Country and ask them, one such place very near to me is 'The House of Marbles' which are 'TVG', Teign Valley Glass. Google them and give them a call and email them the picture, I'm sure they would be very helpful.

Thanks for your reply :) I have emailed the company you suggested to see if they can help...

I have emailed many Glass people but quite a few are unable to help for whatever reason...

I'm guessing because it's quite bespoke...

Be a shame if I cannot do it...

Cheers

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »
I've commissioned work from Allistair Malcolm before, we "designed" my claret jug together. I know he is very busy, but he might consider doing this for you if you asked him. He certainly has the skill required to make something strange, unusual, beautiful and large.  :)

http://www.allistermalcolm.com/#!/splash-page
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Jimbobcook

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
I've commissioned work from Alistair Malcolm before, we "designed" my claret jug together. I know he is very busy, but he might consider doing this for you if you asked him. He certainly has the skill required to make something strange, unusual, beautiful and large.  :)

http://www.allistermalcolm.com/#!/splash-page

Thanks very much for your info, I have emailed him and see what I get back :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »
It's a lovely idea but would likely be very expensive because it would require time and several attempts to get a such a non-standard item correct. You might be better looking at a lamp worker as it it much easier to sculpt using spun glass

Or there are these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Glass-Slippers-Cinderella-Costume-Shoes-Wedding-Princess-Bridal-Hees-7-8-9-/400988441582

Offline Jimbobcook

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
It's a lovely idea but would likely be very expensive because it would require time and several attempts to get a such a non-standard item correct. You might be better looking at a lamp worker as it it much easier to sculpt using spun glass

Or there are these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Glass-Slippers-Cinderella-Costume-Shoes-Wedding-Princess-Bridal-Hees-7-8-9-/400988441582

Could I be a little thick and ask what a lamp worker is... Spinning glass sounds dangerous haha

Cheers

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »
A lamp worker uses thin canes of coloured glass and a blow-torch (the lamp) to melt a little bit at a time, so that sculptures can be "built up" from the bits of coloured glass.

Like the figures sometimes seen inside paperwights.  :)

Quite a different kettle of fish to having a big pot of hot glass at 1,200 degrees C to dip into and get out a gather to blow on an iron.

I do not know how lampworkers make vessels and vases.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand