No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hadeland vase signed w j  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Mjaubeib

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Norway
Hadeland vase signed w j
« on: October 18, 2015, 07:53:54 AM »
Initially i thought this beautiful vase was a benny Motzfeldt.  Because of the colors and thought what a coop! Underneath after i washed it i found Hadeland w j handwritten. But when i Google Willy Johansson i cant find this design? So i am curious, when was this made, what collection?  It was well used, so obviously someone loved this vase before it arrived at the thrift shop. But no scratches or damages say to me it was cherished aswell. My mom toll me first that this is most likelydende Worth next to nothing compared to her benny Motzfeldt,  but when she sak the beauty she retracted her statement. 

Offline mbmb

• Members
Re: Hadeland vase signed w j
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »
This is a late work by WJ, probably around 1980. At www.digitaltmuseum.no you can search for him and see this series and other things.

mbmb

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:25:41 AM »
We don't see very much Hadeland - not nearly enough!
I think it's mostly all kept in Norway, you know and recognise the treasures you have. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Mjaubeib

• Members
    • Norway
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
I contacted both Hadeland and the museum, now i am waiting for more info about this design. Hadeland is a bit far from me..  I really love the collection - so i will keep an eye out for similar pieces. 

Edit: thanks mbmb

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:41:57 AM »
I love Hadeland, you can find a good selection of their pieces here:
https://www.pinterest.com/gt1358/scandinavian-glass-hadeland/

Gareth

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
W J  , Wasnt that Father and Son both great glass artists i have had items by both , information came from one of the Scandinavian glass forums .

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:56:27 PM »
You’re right. The father was Johan Wilhelm Johansson (1887-1970), whose pieces are signed JWJ. He was both designer and master glassblower.

His son was the more famous Willy Johansson (1921-1993), with the signature WJ. Willy «only» designed his pieces, but didn’t execute them.

Some tend to get confused by the two similar signatures, particularly by some early 1950’s pieces that can be signed by both. The reason is that Willy designed them, while his father, the glassblower, executed them. For a few years, Hadeland art glass was signed by both designer and glassblower.

The ones signed only JWJ were both designed and executed by dad.

Hope this is clear (as glass)?

mbmb

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:24:13 AM »
Tusen Tak mbmb . God Jul .

Offline Mjaubeib

• Members
    • Norway
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 07:31:39 PM »
You’re right. The father was Johan Wilhelm Johansson (1887-1970), whose pieces are signed JWJ. He was both designer and master glassblower.

His son was the more famous Willy Johansson (1921-1993), with the signature WJ. Willy «only» designed his pieces, but didn’t execute them.

Some tend to get confused by the two similar signatures, particularly by some early 1950’s pieces that can be signed by both. The reason is that Willy designed them, while his father, the glassblower, executed them. For a few years, Hadeland art glass was signed by both designer and glassblower.

The ones signed only JWJ were both designed and executed by dad.

Hope this is clear (as glass)?

J

mbmb

Just a quick "edit" to your post. I am told by Hadeland themselves(was able to reach the current designers) that WJ junior actually did blow a few himself - but to know if its a real blown by the master himself you need to talk to an expert, and they all recide around Hadeland. :)

Offline mbmb

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »
Just to edit the edit: in several interviews during his lifetime, WJ repeated the facts; he mastered the rudimentary skills of a glassblower, but used them only to experiment on ideas he had for designs. The end result and the finished product was always the work of the professional glassblowers.

mbmb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand