No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice glass object  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Torysa

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Czechoslovak glass
    • SK
Skrdlovice glass object
« on: October 24, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »
Hi, please could somebody help me identify what was the purpose of this piece of glass? I got it together with a few other Skrdlovice pieces. It's weight is 3,5 kg , height 16 cm, width 13 cm.  There are 2 marks "79" and "E" at the top of it. Thanks.

Torysa

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Skrdlovice glass object
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 10:28:09 PM »
Hi, ahoy, this is a nice piece of glass. It is highly unusual. I have not seen this piece or this mark exactly before but it is a good match for Skrdlovice  pattern number 8025/28 by Jan Exnar. According to the books it should be horizontal on display. This can be seen in the pattern books on  the Pardubice museum website. As the piece could have been made in 1979, appearing in the 1980 year in the pattern book, this would make "79" impressed on the bottom of the vase make sense.  Also "E" for Exnar makes sense. He still signs glass sometimes now as "Ex". I have not seen this impressed mark before, it could have been something Exnar was doing for unique pieces at the time. As this is a "plastika", sculpture, in the books, it would possibly be unikat, not normal production, a series of five or less. Jan Exnar is still alive, perhaps it is possible for you to contact him directly....? This could confirm things. Also, Mr Svoboda is often at his factory in Karlov, he would have been present at the time. Good luck, it is a nice piece of glass!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Torysa

• Members
    • Czechoslovak glass
    • SK
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:40:48 AM »
Hi, Robert, thank you very much for the identification ! I went through the pattern book few times but my untrained eyes were unable to find the matching object.  Maybe because I expected vertical position for it. And now, here it is ! At the pattern book, there is a note for the 8025/16 piece in Czech: "nedělalo se" . This can be translated as "was not produced". I am very happy glass collector this morning. Thanks again !

Torysa 

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
No problem, Torysa, I like it when a piece of glass is recognised. I hope you come back to GMB with more lovely glass, people here try to be helpful and polite,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:20:35 AM »
What a wonderful piece, Torysa!  I love Exnar's designs.

Offline Torysa

• Members
    • Czechoslovak glass
    • SK
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »
Thank you Anik.  Sorry for my late response, but I got lost in the forum and just learning how things work here. I really appreciate all the knowledge which all of you, Czech glass collectors from GMB, collected and published in previous years. Many thanks !

Torysa

Offline Torysa

• Members
    • Czechoslovak glass
    • SK
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Unfortunately I have not been able to find out Mr. Exnars e-mail address till now to send him an message and confirm his authorship of this glass object. On the other hand I was lucky today and came across the picture of the object in Glasrevue No. 4/80 p.6 on Jindra's pages, so I am attaching the link for the reference:
http://picasaweb.google.com/104509467784289017506/Glasrevue19804?authkey=Gv1sRgCNHyzeat86CYGA&gsessionid=oI9P4dHp-e1M1eCFpFy9-Q#5447780928814421970

Torysa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand