No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb 390?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
Molineaux Webb 390?
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:24:31 PM »
Hi
I noticed these on everyone's favourite auction site: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-PRESSED-GLASS-PEDESTAL-BON-BON-DISHES-/171949941924?hash=item280903e4a4:g:nUsAAOSwHnFVi-Bt
and thought they looked familiar. On the History of Molineaux & Webb site the picture of unregistered sugar #390 is similar: https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-unregistered-pressed-glass/sugars_creamers
but there is a caveat about a similar bowl by Richardsons circa 1840.
I would be interested in your views, especially Neil's and thought that (if needed) perhaps the image owner might allow copies for the M&W site and this one.
Kind regards

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Molineaux Webb 390?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:49:42 PM »
It's rather sad to be clicking to links on my own website but the reason for the Richardsons comment was a similar pressed design on p337 of Hajdamach's "British Glass 1800-1914" - the usual problem of not knowing how many manufacturers may have made similar or identical patterns.

In this case though the eBay object looks exactly like the Molineaux Webb image and some way distant from the Richardsons item I was referring to. You might have spotted a rare early piece there, I would expect it to be heavy if from that time period.

While we're talking Molineaux Webb, just one random factoid for you all. A few years ago I photographed the gravestones of the Molineaux, Webb, Ellis, Percival families in Manchester General Cemetery. They had a prominent place in the grounds. Found out last week that Molineaux, Webb, Ellis families were all shareholders in the cemetery when it opened in 1836. They were already involved heavily in the railway share mania active around this time. So they were all making a good deal of money in the 1830s to be throwing it around like that, even to the point of getting a good grave plot as a shareholder perk!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand