No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Philosophical Question  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Krecik

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • USA
Philosophical Question
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:58:45 AM »
Hello ,

I responded to an online classified ad for paperweights and about 5 minutes after getting a response with more pictures I was out the door on a 200 mile one way drive to see them.  I walked away with a group of them and paid between ~1/5 and ~1/15 of their typical selling price but it is exactly what the seller was asking for. If you are offered a paperweight for far less than it's typical value do you just pay the asking price or do you offer something closer to it's value?

Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
Re: Philosophical Question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
Interesting question, one without a straightforward answer, at least for me.  I am not one to intentionally rip someone off, but with that said....if someone states a price (be it a BIN on ebay, sticker price in shop, or individual selling for x) I'll pay it without a sense of guilt at all.  If I am dealing with someone that doesn't know what they have, doesn't know what it's worth but is seeking some guidance/input before they sell, I will step up to the plate and offer something a bit more fair.  I would still work for a good deal unless it was something I really wanted for myself.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
I would pay the asking price unless the seller was a friend, then I pay more.

The knowledge and experience that we build up over time is definitely worth something as far as I am concerned!

John

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
I sold five glasses recently for £200 i paid £1 each for them, my wife said i was being greedy but i had to get up early know what i was looking for list and photograph them which all takes time, i'm about to buy a vase for £180 i know the dealer paid £75 for who picked it up from another antique shop a friend owns and she paid £50 for it, i still think it's worth £400 quid. Everyone loves a bargain and i bet the person made money on the weights you purchased.
Chris Parry

Offline Krecik

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
Everyone loves a bargain and i bet the person made money on the weights you purchased.

I know the seller did not make money. The seller was the original purchaser of the weights between the late 70's and mid 90's. They were all purchased at galleries at full retail.  I never feel guilty buying from a stranger with an inappropriate price or description. I guess I feel guilty because I met the seller in person and he was at one time a collector. Most are limited editions
with some edition sizes being 25 or 50.   This style of weight does not come up for sale often and when they do they command high prices. I only purchased a part of his collection , just the best fits for what I collect.   Had I taken them all I really would have felt like I had ripped him off , not just a little guilty.  I just keep having to telling my self I paid what was asked.

Thanks.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
You need to add the cost of the petrol for your journey.  :)
As far as your question is concerned, I think I try to take into consideration how much the seller needs the money. If they're not well off and are underselling, I do pay more.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »
if the seller was a collector then they should have some idea of what they are worth.  It is not difficult to do some internet research, look at dealers sites, look on ebay  and find out what similar weights have sold for.  If it was the collector's widow then one may feel a little more guilty.  But I have picked up an Ysart Harland weight from an antique fair for £5 (knocked down from £10).  and a fine old English from a car boot for £2 and felt no guilt whatsoever. However if it is a charity shop, then usually I will buy it and then tell them it was underpriced and give them a donation 
Martin

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »
and the seller has had between 25 and 40 years worth of pleasure owning the weights they bought in the 70s-90s.
If you divide the cost by the number of years of pleasure then presumably it works out at about £1 a year for the pleasure of owning them.  I think that's incredibly good value :)

They were a one time collector, they presumably had some way of working out what they thought the weights were worth.
And to them, what they sold them to you at is what they were worth to sell them on.  Perhaps they just need to get rid/need the money and therefore the open market value is irrelevant to them.

Enjoy them, sell them, make the profit, whatever.  That is the way of negotiation. No one would ever make a living otherwise.  Everyone has to make their profit in every single employment aspect.  Or no-one would work. Making a living is the point and everyone's skills have a value, hence a salary.

If you weren't going to make a decent profit on them at some point then presumably you would not have driven 200 miles to buy them.  And they might never have been able to sell them at all.
I'd think that all the hours you've put in to gaining your knowledge plus all the books you've bought and read, have cost a fortune in time and money.  And being able to buy paperweights at a decent price because you recognised what they are, is the reason you have spent that time and money in honing your knowledge.  Expertise has value and costs money and time to gain.

It's probably about separating the heart and the head  :)
m

Offline cassandra33

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »
This is obviously on your conscience. Go back and pay a fairer price. You will never enjoy the weights otherwise.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
or sell them and then give a proportion of the actual sale to the person you bought them from.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand