No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina or Isle of Wight plus A.N.Other  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Steve S

• Members
  • New Member Thanks for spending time on my posts
    • Czech, Mdina, Whitefriars
    • United Kingdom
Mdina or Isle of Wight plus A.N.Other
« on: December 01, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »
I have recently taken an inexpensive punt on a couple of vases one of which seems to be either late Harris era Mdina or early Isle Wight. [Mod: Please see new thread: Early Studio Glass, probably British ? for the second item]

The first is a square vase with orange swirls standing 16cm high. It has a flat base as commonly found on most of the Mdina vases but is unsigned.  A similar example can be seen on page 72 of the Mark Hill book (Michael Harris, Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass) in the Chapter 'Early Experiments 1972-1975'.relating to early Isle of Wight glass The example pictured there however is round and has the coachbolt pontil mark from 1973.  I suppose it could also be much later Mdina but I can find no reference to this in late Mdina patterns.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina or Isle of Wight plus A.N.Other
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
The first is Mdina. Not a common thing, but there are several examples of a red swirly decor in various early shapes to be found.

[As above - please see new thread for the second item]
I don't know what the second piece is, I would doubt any Harris connection - that grey is unknown.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Steve S

• Members
  • New Member Thanks for spending time on my posts
    • Czech, Mdina, Whitefriars
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »
The first is Mdina. Not a common thing, but there are several examples of a red swirly decor in various early shapes to be found.

Thanks Sue; I had noticed some examples of red/orange swirly glass but the examples I have seen all have trailing of one sort or another. Do you think this is early Mdina prior to 1972 or simply an experimental piece from later?

Steve

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
An experimental piece from later - given the square shape. :)

I don't know why there are some red swirly bits. -Red glass was turned into brown glass via the reaction it has with silver salts which were added to the hot glass.
If there is red alone, it menas the silver salts were not used, but it is still basically the "Tortoiseshell" pattern.

Perhaps they ran out of the salts at some points in time? Or simply didn't have enough time to add them.

Most pieces have both streaky reds and browns, from the reaction being incomplete - but it does give rise to a beautiful effect.

There was a later range, in the '80s, of swirly reds with blue/teal strapping - often described as orange and green. The red is rather a burnt, and slightly old-blood-y sort of shade.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand