No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible MDG , large , amber, square shaped bottle / carafe with long neck.....  (Read 3676 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;)
I suspect it is more of an annealing "feature" than deliberate design.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Relatively few of these mustard colour MDG items seem to crop up, perhaps they were less popular at the time. Your photos with flash show up that internal pattern really well - it can be difficult to make out, a potentially useful aid for identification?

John

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Ahhh, so as it cooled down it turned into the " leaning tower of Pisa  " and was sold as a 'designer carafe' or as a second  ? judging by the weight ,  and slightly ..... monstrous appearance ..... ,  I would say  a second.. or more likely  an apprentice piece,  but a pretty good one !  ;D

This link below , has to be the best example seen here so far ....surely ? .....(as mentioned above )...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42409.msg235656.html#msg235656

Ta very muchly , Mike  ;)

P.S Thanks John got your message whilst posting this !
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I got one of them!
But I also have a small squat round pot with the same jaggedy lines in it, in amber, it would match your bottle.
(Battutto style base with ground round pontil mark.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Ohh goodness me , that really is the bees-knees ! It's even got the grid pattern going on  :D

Thanks for showing it Sue !

Ta , Mike

Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Wolfie that was the thread I was thinking about and thanks too Rosie for taking the lovely photo and sharing it on the GMB

There is a better link to the photo here.....

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pid=16047&fullsize=1

You can just make out the MDG label on the yellow bottle next to the MDG green bottle , also with label.

Cheers , Mike
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Ah, I recognise the photo of that stand now.
I have the very small labelled green cloudy stoppered bottle and the green lollipop beside it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
It's really good to take photos at these events ....very useful for research purposes !

I love the green bottle and the yellow attenuated one ;)

This MDG vase came today , amber with the same sort of decoration effect as the bottle which started this thread....not very well made as the rim is off-center and a bit wonky ...another apprentice piece. There is no ground pontil just a slightly matte base with plenty of 'battuto'.

It's 9.5 cm tall , last photo taken with flash.

This MDG art glass certainly varies in quality depending on who made it !

Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Almost all MDG is wonky, so I don't think you can really say apprentice piece just very variable quality.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand