No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hi Is this Millefiori paperweight Ysart or Vasart or something please? Thanks :)  (Read 1726 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi
I was hoping for some id confirmation please?
I'm pretty sure this millefiori paperweight is Ysart (I think there is a cane with a Y but it may just be V?  :-\ ) it's the cane in the last pic between and in front of the 2 yellow ones which are shown roughly central towards the front of the paperweight. On scotlandglass website there's similar(ish) canes to some within this weight like the heart one (#15?), but I can't find any with the german style cross cane within it? http://www.ysartglass.com/Vascat/VasPcanes.htm
The base shows the back of the canes from underneath, but there's no date or signature canes there that I can see.
Any help would be great please?
Thanks  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Looks like a Strathearn closepack to me

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

Hi.  Typical Strathearn closepack.  The cross cane (Maltese cross) is seen quite often in their paperweights.  I don't see a Y cane, I'm afraid - the Salvador Y cane is a very definite Y.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi, thanks for your replies, because the photos aren't clear enough to see the cane I was talking about, Ive tried to get a better shot of the cane that to me, looks like a letter as it's so tiny, but now I know the Y (or V?) would be crystal clear, I'm wondering if it's a cane that is a bit 'scruffy' or maybe is supposed to be flower stamen? :) It's just so small, I can barely make it out without scrutinising it :/ It's to the right and just below the yellow maltese cross cane :) Sorry pics yesterday weren't that great, I had to dissect my lamp shade to get lighting for this one  ;D

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

Hi.  I see the cane you mean, but I think it is a case of serendipity, where three internal designs elements are pressed together.  Many letters and numbers can be generated by accident - the Old English paperweights of Arculus and Walsh Walsh provide all kinds of examples.   I have had a look through some of my Strathearn closepack images, and the 'Maltese Cross' shape appears in several of them.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chriss

• Members
Great  :) thanks for the info about the canes and confirming that it is Strathearn, much appreciated :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
For confirmation about similar visual uncertainty, please see:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4986

That cane shows how two of its three larger central elements have slippage, causing a "V" shape to be formed. The lowest of those larger elements shows the basic cane design which, itself, also has three larger and three smaller elements.

Many folk, through normal viewing, have been convinced that the distorted version of that cane (and others like it) show a definite "V" or "Y" signature!
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand