No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow to Orange Tumbler/ Small Vase ? Scottish Glass  (Read 942 times)

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Yellow to Orange Tumbler/ Small Vase ? Scottish Glass
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »
 To me this has a look of Vasart or Strathearn but the base is not something I recognise from either of these or of Monart. The pontil mark is a slightly concave 1/2in disc. I had wondered if it was maybe Strathearn but with its salmon mark ground out but it doesn't sit quite flat and most definitely wouldn't have if there had been more glass on the base. Another odd feature is there is what looks more like glaze crazing seen in pottery but it's under the surface. It looks as if it could have been made as a drinking glass/ tumbler and measures 4 1/8ins high x 3 1/8ins at top rim. Maybe the uneven base and the crazing effect means it was a second and just not finished off. Any help with ID would be appreciated thanks.
Alastair

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Yellow to Orange Tumbler/ Small Vase ? Scottish Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:13:43 PM »
Puzzling.  :)
I would think the crazing might actually be true crizzling, (age-related damage/deterioration). It wasn't a form decor used by the Ysarts.
I don't really associate those dark, stretched flecks with Strathearn (I might be wrong) and the odd base finish is more likely to be associated with Vasart than Strathearn, I would have thought. They were less organised (in terms of routines for production) and struggling to get hold of materials because of the very difficult circumstances (war) they were trying to keep operating under.
This did mean that base finishes sometimes accomodated what had been produced, rather than being consistent.
Sometimes a base might be too thin to add a blob of glass to, to cover the pontil mark, so it wouldn't be added, but they couldn't afford not to sell the piece.

My guts think Vasart.
Now I'm going to hide until somebody agrees, or puts me right.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Well Sue - I thought similarly - towards Vasart that is but the base isn't insubstantial to be one that couldn't have accommodated more tidying up. I also remember something from the Ysart glass website about black fleck residue with glass. Yes - the crazing/ crizzling - I wondered if it was a manufacturing fault/ deterioration as its not obvious enough to be deliberate decoration.
Alastair

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »
That looks like crizzling to me too

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
 :-[
I didn't see it, not until I enlarged the pics extra big.
I can see internal cracks around the base - not quite the same as the ancient crizzled perfume I've seen - that was a jig-saw of tiny square chunks of glass held together by hope.

But it will still display well and it is orange, it will go with your decor (and those lampshades - (if they ever disappear, suspect me.  ;))
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »
I would say not Scottish at all IMHO. It is the thickness of the clear glass at the base which turns me off that idea in addition to base finishing, the inclusions and the way that the colour is worked. It could be a studio piece but more likely imported 50s glass. Base also looks to have been polished. Elwell(ish)
Sue the blob was not added to cover the pontil mark, the blob was used to connect the vessel to the punty iron for shaping. In the case of Strathearn a blob was added to allow the seal to be impressed.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 01:51:45 PM »
Thanks, Frank!
I knew that an extra blob was added to cover the scar at IoWSG, sometimes, early on.

I had assumed the small round ground blob found on Vasart was the same. I was clearly wrong, thanks for the info. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »
Thanks for the information Frank. It is an odd base as it just doesn't sit steady - sort of rocks on it's centre even though there is that concave ground down pontil mark. And Sue is right - a few orange things in here and the lampshades mentioned are glassish being fibreglass.
Alastair

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 02:50:42 AM »
Wobbly base confirms my thoughts.