No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Yellow Layered Geode Bowl - ID Help Needed Please  (Read 590 times)

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Murano Yellow Layered Geode Bowl - ID Help Needed Please
« on: December 20, 2015, 03:34:27 PM »
I think this is Murano but I'm intrigued by the technique and what this technique would be called. I have quite a bit of Murano sommerso and some Murano alabastro but each layer here seems to be the same colour and it is not cased in clear glass. No reaction to UV light. The bowl measures 5 5/8ins x 1 1/2ins and weighs around 700g. The base is polished flat although it looks matt in the picture. Any help regarding technique and possible maker would be appreciated thanks.
Alastair

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Murano Yellow Layered Geode Bowl - ID Help Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:18:46 PM »
Archimede Seguso to the best of my knowledge used yellow alabastro glass so that might be one avenue to explore.  I did have a look through a number of the books but couldn't see anything to match.
Your photo makes it look as though there are three layers with perhaps a thin layer inbetween each?

Somewhere I found a set of colours for the alabastros used many years ago but I can't find it now I'm sorry.

Hopefully someone will be along who knows about Murano glass and may be able to help you.

It's very pretty.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Re: Murano Yellow Layered Geode Bowl - ID Help Needed Please
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
Thanks for that. Yes there are three layers but what you describe as a thin layer in between is possibly just the effect of the layering rather than a separate band. At certain angles those lines/ thin layers disappear. I too wondered about  Archimede Seguso and have found a few bits that colour of yellow but as alabastro as against this all yellow banded effect. Thanks for your input.
Alastair

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand