No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Glass two Handled Vase  (Read 1186 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Uranium Glass two Handled Vase
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
I could use some help with this piece. 18 cm in Height to the top of the handle. I have searched and found only 1 picture. It is in a collection of glass but the link is over 5yrs ago and only showing the collection no write up on individual pieces. The handles are a milky white opalescent colour.
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Re: Uranium Glass two Handled Vase
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:44:30 PM »
Dear Peter,

try Stevens and Williams or Steuben Alabaster. Love the handles and a great looking piece.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »
Hi Gowdod. Initial searches show Stevens and Williams to be a good contender. The Colour is a very good match and the combination of the Jade Green and Milky Alabaster glass. Steuben is similar but i think, from the photo's, they are a darker Green. The Jug I have on another thread is a similar darker green to Steuben. You have given me plenty to be going on with. Thanks for the help. The handles are nice. A great shape. I have not had a piece like this before. A Nice Find.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
If the green is a uranium glass then it is not Stevens and Williams Alabaster. Perhaps Josephinenhutte for the maker.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
Did Richardson ever use uranium glass for their alabaster?

I also don't think the shape or the colours fit with S&W but the believe as John says, that the uranium glass rules them out.

m

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
I did not know S&W did not do uranium. A few listed pieces have uranium and a question with S&W attribution. The green & alabaster did make me think it was. So much for an easy ID. :-). I thought this shape would help to pin it down but apart from the collection photo I have not seen it. If anyone does see it a link would be helpful.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 08:42:12 PM »
Just wanted to add something here for discussion.  We've talked about S&W uranium, or not, alabaster more than once. I've just bought a uranium alabaster grapefruit dish that I am sure is S&W - it has the same foot as the candleholder featured in the S&W book.
Then looking around the site I came across this thread where the Original Poster says her bowl is uranium glass:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38462.msg212200.html#msg212200

So I think they must have done some alabaster in uranium glass and some not. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »
Shoestring only says that the lidded pot is Stevens & Williams and that it is not uranium. The candle holder in the book is not the same shade of green as other S&W pieces but is the same shade as Walsh Walsh alabaster. I postulate that the book is incorrect (the waterlily stand above it is Walsh too) And that squared  off foot is common on grapefruit dishes
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=672
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=629
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=250

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
ooh right -   and thank you!
Yes I've read the posters request incorrectly.

I thought there might be some question about other pieces in the book. I'd actually looked at that candle holder and wondered if it might have been Graystan at one point but decided not.

So, I'll post a pic of the grapefruit dish on here this evening if I get a bit of time and would be grateful if you have time to take a look :)  I'm not sure the foot is quite the same as yours though.

It's fab alabaster/opaline glass and I did wonder if it might have been Richardson's but decided it might have been too late for them?  Maybe not perhaps on the cusp but thought it must be thirties probably.

I've just seen the other Walsh opaline piece you've posted and I think that might answer a question on a rosaline piece I have that I thought might be an S&W salt.  I might need to get the book out and the magnifying glass  :-X

Thanks again
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand