No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Corning museum Carder Steuben rosaline - checking these are all Steuben  (Read 1672 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
For anyone who can confirm this please?
Are all these rosaline pieces shown in photos of the Carder Gallery Rosaline shelf made by Steuben?

Many thanks
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eisha5/3537479676/in/photolist-ourARA-6spc1H-odwnPb-df7i2X-6JWCWG-6oAvsU-vpvVu-oc7gua-96tULU-4CmPr1-6sJ2T5

For this link you need to scroll down to come to the Rosaline shelf.

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/glass_museum_corning_ny.htm

Thank you for any help you can give as it appears that a piece I own that I thought was Stevens and Williams is on the shelf here as Steuben.
Perhaps it is Steuben.  Or perhaps it is Stevens and Williams since I've been unable to find a shape match to it in the online line drawings.

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Corning museum Carder Steuben rosaline - checking these are all Steuben
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »
It doesn't specify which company they were made at. It says "The Carder Gallery displays his early pieces made at the English firm of Stevens & Williams, many of the objects he designed when he managed Steuben Glass Works between 1903 and 1933, and some works he created in his later years."

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Corning museum Carder Steuben rosaline - checking these are all Steuben
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
yes, that's what the owner of the second link said on their site and showed as a description.
However, the shelf is labelled 'Rosaline' (which was not a Stevens and Williams colour or range as far as I know).  And as far as I can see, apart from one piece that I'm questioning (only because I thought it was an S&W piece, not because I have any evidence) the other shelves (cream, blue and green) as well as this pink one, appear to contain Steuben only pieces.
So I was just wondering whether they were definitely mixed displays or whether the pieces he made at S&W were in a separate display.

I have another question over a Carder Steuben club id of a piece as well.  It doesn't match the line drawing and it doesn't appear to be a signed piece.
It's a lidded piece and the way the line drawing is done, the lid would sit over the outside of an indented rim on the bowl.  However the piece they show has the lid as having the indented rim which then sits inside the base rim which is not indented.  I've checked it against other lidded pieces and their line drawings and they match as to the mechanism of lid fit, but not this particular one.  And I'm not sure it's a Steuben piece either (although I have no pattern evidence for my belief lol)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand