No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Slumped Glass Plate Given out by J Millard Tawes  (Read 1727 times)

Offline saj204

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
    • RetroWithStyle - Etsy Shop
Slumped Glass Plate Given out by J Millard Tawes
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:15:59 PM »
Hi All

I picked this plate up at a local auction over here in the UK last week because it sparked my interest as being something a bit unusual. It is a slumped glass plate in its original box and the plate has an image of the State House, Annapolis, Maryland. The part that sparked my interest was in one corner it has printed into the design "Best Wishes, J Millard Tawes, Governor of Maryland", which suggested to me that this may have been given out  as a gift, possibly to staff or supporters. The box which I am assuming is the original also has a paper and ribbon seal attached to the front of the box.

The plate measures 22.5cm by 17cm.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any information about this plate. Who might have made it? Was it mass produced or for a more select group of supporters? What does the seal stand for? What would it have been given out for?

Any help on this unusual item would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Stephen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand