No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Miniature cut glass decanter or perfume bottle?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Miniature cut glass decanter or perfume bottle?
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »
This is a new addition (left hand side) to my little perfume bottle collection (mostly Mdina) but I'm not sure that it is actually that as I've seen identical full size decanters described as antique, c.1820s.
It does look Georgian in style.  So, a couple of questions that someone might be able to help me with.  Is it a miniature decanter or a scent/perfume bottle?
Secondly, is it Georgian or as I have seen somewhere (I will try to find the source again) a Georgian style reproduction from the 1960s?
TIA :)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Miniature cut glass decanter or perfume bottle?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »
I forgot to add the size - it stands 6" high.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:39 AM »
I don't know much about these things but I think this may be an individual decanter rather than a cologne/perfume

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »
Hi,looks regancy to me,has it got a lot of wear to the base and is the cutting sharp as that's a good pointer,I wonder if it's a salesman piece or originally was in a set of three,interesting these miniatures,hopefully someone will shed some light on it soon.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:30:56 AM »
They look like  Victorian oil/condiment bottles, there very common here, i often see them in charity shops, most are not worn on the bases because there were sometimes held in a turnable carousel.

Some of the recent 1960's Tudor crystal i have picked up has razor sharp cutting.

The Regency looking decanter is signed Tudor on the base.

Here is my almost complete one with a couple of others i picked up recently.

There between 6 to 7 inches in height.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 10:22:46 PM »
would agree that these are both liquid condiment containers, my opinion is that the longish neck and slender body with large flared pouring lip are typical of these things, especially from the second half C19.              Also agree they're most often seen in sets of three or four and usually contained within EPNS frames like those shown  -  don't know about these two, but it's often the case that the depression under the base is unusually wide for the size of the piece, but down market examples mostly have only a fire polished and slightly rough pontil scar still present  -  this can be seen on the right hand example - I think, although they're still level enough on the base to be remain upright.

C18 clear glass examples often have silver collars  -  the cutting lacks sophistication and often shows large relief diamonds and some mitres - occasionally curved.

Sowerby knocked out a lot of these, and probably so did just about every maker of utility table glass - I only mention Sowerby since you can see some of theirs in the Thistlewood CDs.
As for dating, I'd suggest middle to last quarter of the C19 for the right hand example  -  I think the left hand piece, although very attractive and desirable, is not as early as it's trying to make out, although I doubt very much it's as late as the 1960's - were such things still being knocked out in the middle of the C20?         If really early it would be more likely that the neck rings would have been applied separately, and you can tell this by looking to see if they are moulded on or if added after the body has been made.

Utility cut glass pieces, assuming they have been used for some time, will show damage to high spots and internal staining  -  although it may have spent 100 years in Granny's cabinet and never touched, so that's not infallible.         Is the glass very bright and white?      Are there seeds or specks in the glass?       What is the underside of the foot like?
Assuming almost zero wear, will put head on block and plump for somewhere in the first third of the C20, but it's really only a guess. :)   

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
I have one somewhere the same as the one on the left and the stopper has a long thin spoon fixed to it that i believe is for perfume ,

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »
jp - I didn't know perfumes had spoons - only know of some stoppers that have very long thin extensions for reaching and applying the scent.   What does it smell of  -  No. 5. ;D              Perhaps Anne E.B. will comment re the stopper on hers.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »
I'm here - just about.  Helping out with new baby granddaughter so spinning plates at the moment ;D

Okay folks, thank you so much for all your help and advice :-* :-* :-*.  It's greatly appreciated and I'm so grateful for all your replies which I value.  I love you all!  :-* :-* :-*

To try to answer some of the questions raised, some obs. as follows...

The glass is very bright and the diamond and linear pattern around the middle is sharp.
There is some white staining at the very bottom but I can't detect any smell.
The pontil mark on the base is smooth with a rim and looks to be fire polished methinks.
There are some tiny white specks in the stopper and a couple of minute black specks in the bottle itself.
The neck rings appear to have been added.  I can run my nail around the top and bottom of each one and there are no visible seams.
The pouring lip is on one side only even though the rim flares out in both directions and has a smooth edge section unlike the rest of the sawtooth rim.  I'm inclined to agree that it for condiments and not a perfume bottle as I first thought.  My other perfume bottles all have long stoppers and no pouring lip.

I'm going to upload some images of the neck rings and the diamond/linear pattern.  Hopefully they will be the right size as I seem to be having trouble downsizing images at the moment and getting them to the right size.  I'm also still getting to grips with my new Mac which is far too clever for me, and keeps changing words as I type ::)

--------------

There we go.  Will get back with the images once I've found them  ::)
Anne E.B

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »
Fingers crossed ;D
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand