No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass scent bottle - Boston & Sandwich  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Pressed glass scent bottle - Boston & Sandwich
« on: April 08, 2016, 06:30:48 PM »
Any ideas where this lovely old scent bottle came from please?  The nearest I can find in design/style are those shown in the Launay Hautin catalogues dated 1840 & 1841 shown on www.glas-musterbuch.de
I'm guessing its dated around that time.  I see from Ivo's "glass fact file a-z" that Launay Hautin & Cie were glass wholesalers based in Paris (1830-57) and their catalogues included glass made by Saint Louis and Baccarat.

Its unfortunately damaged and is missing part of its finial on the stopper as well as one of its six scallops above the base.  That particular shape is reflected on the stopper also.
However, for 50p it was an interesting buy.

TIA :)
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Pressed glass scent bottle - ? French.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
It's a bit on the monumental side, and sadly, these things do seem to be very prone to damage.
But a wonderful, fascinating thing for 50p. ;D
I can just see it, doing the "Fantasia" mushroom dance!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:18:18 AM »
I'm not sure if this kind of bleu was around at that time, I have seen a much lighter bleu,  but I found a similar, green model announced as Boston Sandwich.

http://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2295/lots/306

As you've mentioned, your bottle has got some damage.

Another one here...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/409335053601037584/?from_navigate=true

Personally, I can't tell you if this is right or not, as I haven't got any info on this company, but maybe somebody else can.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »
"I can just see it, doing the "Fantasia" mushroom dance!"
 ;D  Me too, now.  ;)

Thanks Anne Tique for the links.  Its identical to the green uranium one in the first link, and the second link shows one with applied gold enamel decoration which is interesting as mine doesn't have any, although it could have been washed or worn off over the years.  Both described as Boston & Sandwich Glass Co. and "colognes".    Nice to see what an undamaged finial actually looked like. The Boston & Sandwich Museum website shows some scent bottles in a display cabinet, a couple which are very similar but without the fancy shape petals around the bottom. 

I did also see a pair of B.&.S. candlesticks in the same colour which had the same elongated oval loop pattern c.1840-60.

Do we have any EAPG experts who can confirm that it is actually B.&.S. ? :)

Anne E.B

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
From the book ' A Guide To Sandwich Glass ' vases, colognes and stoppers. See attached photo.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 12:07:26 PM »
Anne does yours have a polished pontil mark?

m

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 04:27:05 PM »
Thanks for the photo Cagney.
It does have a polished slightly concave base with a scar in the centre which may or may not be a pontil mark as shown.
I must give it a good clean, its very dirty ::)
Anne E.B

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »
looks like a polished pontil mark to me.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »
Looks like a pontil was used to liberate the piece from the mould, hence the mark,. A usual methof in the eary days of pressing, circa 1830/1850. It looks like pressed to me. Similar items have been made everywhere pressing machines were delivered, probably with moulds and all, so possibly B&S made it in one form,  Zoude, Saint Louis, and several other works in their own version. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »
I seem to recall passing the body of a uranium scent, with a similar 'chunkyness' to Christine some few years back  -  which believe we decided was Boston & Sandwich from c. 1840 - 50 .............    from memory it was crizzled heavily and possibly even weeping slightly.
If Anne doesn't object, tomorrow I'll add couple of pix of similar mould formed/cut scent with spire type stopper  -  it's 'pressed', as opposed to entirely cut, but I'm confused as to how to interpret that word......   obviously there isn't a pressed plunger involved, so assume a pneumatic process??.             Regret it's not coloured like Anne's - only clear glass - and my opinion is made somewhere in the early C20 perhaps, but based possibly on an earlier design.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand