No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal comport, Reg.No.681649, 12th March 1921  (Read 10920 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart Crystal comport, Reg.No.681649, 12th March 1921
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
that's a great little piece Robin - lovely enamelling too.                  Well you know what they say  -  .....separated by a common language etc. ;D - but we do usually call such mechanically acid applied details as a backstamp  -  would be great had it been compulsory  -  we'd almost be redundant.
Starting c. 1840, the British Board of Trade offered some degree of protection to inventors of new designs, by providing a system of Registration for each specific design/Registrant.          This covered not only designs from within this country, but also I think for designs from outside the U.K., but where these were being sold or promoted within Britain.
This was a numerical system - arranged around a core of 13 CLASSES of materials - wood, metal, glass, ceramics etc., and provided the design was not an infringement of someone else's creation the a No. would be allocated which provided protection (of sorts) for a period of three years.
Initially, when the item in question was made, and where possible it included details of the date of the design, the CLASS and a Parcel No.  -  and these details were shown in the form of a diamond lozenge.               This system lasted until c. 1884, when the diamond was dropped in favour of using a single No.  -  if known this can be checked and can provide details of date of Registration and Registrant.          Original factory drawings (in the case of glass, wood, metal etc.) can be viewed at the National Archives, and we have permission to reproduce these images on the GMB.

Yes, believe there are some 'master salts' than can be considerably larger than most that we're accustomed to seeing.

In the next hour or so I'll add the National Archive copy of the factory drawing for your sweet.              Some designs such as Stratford Rings and Woodchester ticked on for eons - the former still going strong apparently c. 1970 - and new shapes were added frequently from 1921 onwards, although none ever looked as good as these early enamelled pieces - the spiders webb cocktail shaker always comes to mind.         

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
my opinion is that the time we are allotted to edit posts is a tad short  -  it might have looked neater/tidier had this picture been added to my above words  -  what is the duration - something like 35 minutes?        How about lengthening it to half a day ??? :)
No matter  -  here is the Kew image of the original 1921 Stuart factory drawing for their 'sweet', against which they were allocated Registration No. 682592 on 2nd May 1921.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Paul, the time limit for self-editing is 1 hour.

I don't whether that is a technical limit or if Anne can poke it with one her magic sticks. I will raise a query in the Moderator forum.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
thanks :)  -  suspect it doesn't matter for much of the time, but another forum which I inhabit appears to allow something like 12 or 24 hours, and this can be useful if errors are discovered or additional info. is found that will add to the interest  -  keeping related matter in one place is possibly neater.
Don't lose any sleep though Kevin  -  not the end of the world. :)

P.S.    a quick modification ;D             I understand from Fred that he has some issues at the moment, so his appearance here may, temporarily, be less frequent than usual.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »
Re reply#8, Paul:

Thank you for showing the Kew image for RD 682592.

I don't  have Kew images for any of the other Stuart registered designs, though I do have the couple of reference photos for the  Stuart RD 682593 pickle jar to show as a permanent reference here.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
please let me know Fred which Rd. Nos. in particular that you would like to see, assuming you think they will be of interest, and I'll get them when next I visit.          Probably better you tell me, otherwise I'm bound to get the wrong ones. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »
Actually, Paul, looking back through my photos, you have posted the Kew image for Stuart creamer RD 764703  on the GMB at some time previously.

As to the other Kew images of Stuart RDs, they're not really of huge interest to me personally, but thanks anyway for the offer.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 08:04:43 PM »
sure, o.k. Fred   -   if you do find any that you'd like, I shall be at Kew in about two week's time.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »
Some pictures of salts from the 1927 Stuart catalogue, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline Robin G

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • open salts, art glass
    • United States
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
Thanks, Chris. These salts are not very modern looking for 1929. Classic, I guess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand