No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Franz Welz Klostergrab - Never Seen Production Literature  (Read 6122 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Franz Welz Klostergrab - Never Seen Production Literature
« on: April 17, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
Many here have followed my Welz research for it's entirety for many years now. The path has been at times difficult and turbulent but has continued to develop more and more information about a company which had seemingly been all but forgotten and dismissed through the years. When I started the project there only real mentions of thei company were brief discussions in both the Passau Catalogs "Das Bohmische Glas" and also a brief mention in Truitt I with some images of identified early production.  Their Decor Era production was all but unidentified and Truitt even voiced the opinion that they were likely out of business just post WWI.....  That turned out to not be the case.

Through a very odd set of circumstances and some persistence on my part, in late 2014 I made contact with a direct descendant of Franz Alois Welz, who along with his brother Josef ran the Glasshütte Antonienhütte from 1909 until it's closing in the mid 1930's. One of the results of that contact, along with some other extremely important and previously unknown historical documents, was the obtaining of a scan of the first piece of Welz factory literature to be located anywhere. 

I have now had an article "Franz Welz Klostergrab - Lost History Revealed", published in the April 2016 issue of "All About Glass", the West Virginia Museum of American Glass quarterly, and am posting the literature example here since it has now been made public.

The second image is of examples I have located in the shapes, and in some cases the same décors shown in the literature, almost all of which had been identified as Welz production prior to the discovery of the production document which is dated 1928.

Much of my research through the years has been aided by many members of this forum and for that I am grateful...... 

I would also say that the writing of a brief 10 page article for "All About Glass" has also made me realize that the subject of Welz, based on my many years of research and findings is one deserving of a book, a task many friends and collectors have asked me to undertake, and one I am now prepared to start.....
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Franz Welz Klostergrab - Never Seen Production Literature
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »
Brilliant. Just identified my tobacco jar!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »
I am absolutely delighted that you're going to do the book, and that you have had this incredible good fortune to find the document. 8)
But I think, given your persistance, you were bound to encounter anything of significance at some point in time.  :)
I'm feeling quite chuffed to be vaguely included around the sidelines ;D - a tiny, damaged pot with machine threading, but missing its "pillar" to stand on, I rescued from a heap of junk in a charity shop and put Christine's way (I know she is interested in machine threaded glass) has ended up with you for your Welz collection and research.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »
Ivo,

Can you post a pic of it please??  Thanks, Craig

Sue, Your piece was one that had a décor I had not seen before, and as a result is more than what I would call a small contribution.  The accumulation of finds for my research that have been provided as a "small helping hand" by many caring and interested people amounts to what is now a wealth of knowledge that has been accumulated. 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:41:53 PM »
Excellent news. Excellent work (past, present and future).
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »
 :)
Thanks, :-[
This really is a huge thing you're doing - all part of the joys of the gmb community, it's lovely to be part of it. :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:50:59 PM »
Fantastic - I cannot wait to see all the rest of the work and the book.  It is going to be fascinating :)

Ivo, ref another thread where we were discussing Welz iridescent glass, on the bottom picture second from right bottom row is I think an example of Welz iridescent glass :)

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 06:40:12 AM »

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:26:47 PM »
I agree.... but thanks for posting it......

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
Excellent news Craig.

I think this is an example of the blue/grey and orange decor top left.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand