No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1930s enamelled wine glass King Arthur tales air twist stem can anyone help?  (Read 856 times)

Offline Bijouxtrader

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Early english
    • United kingdom
Hi I am new to this forum I have three wine glasses enamelled with different images of King Arthur's tales I have tried researching them but can't seem to find a good starting point to work from the glasses measure 20cms in height 8.5cms diameter at top of bowl they are fired enamelled on the bowl to etched design each with knights and Arthur tales each with an etched but not enamelled butterfly or moth in the design this one with the horse looking at it they have no pontil to base just raised bump and air twist stems I wondered if they might be Stuart exhibition pieces or if they may be Heinrich Hoffman any help or information would be much appreciated, the very stylish artwork has a familiar look and any ideas on who may have painted them would also be appreciated THANKS

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Hello and welcome! :)
Not my area, but we do have folk who do know about this sort of thing. Not everybody comes here every day, it might take a little time for the right person to see them, but we don't give up here.

Thanks for posting your images directly to the board and for making them enlargable - much appreciated!
However, we can tell an awful lot about glass from looking at bottoms.

Do your glasses have folded feet, do they have polished pontil scars, or simply broken ones or no scar at all? Is the rim polished or heat finished, has it been hand done or machine done?
Would you be kind enough to post more images of the base, showing any detail there might be?
And perhaps one showing the rim?
thanks!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bijouxtrader

• Members
    • Early english
    • United kingdom
Hi Sue,
        Thanks for your reply, it's taking a while for me to get the hang of uploading photos, will post some more shortly including base of foot and rim there are no Pontil mark rough or shaven just a bump where the stem joins the foot the rim isn't folded thanks for the welcoming message
           Regards Steve

Offline Bijouxtrader

• Members
    • Early english
    • United kingdom
Hi here are some more photos

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
You're doing fine, but there is a whole load of techie info and help here;

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html

if it helps any?
You just need to find the right set of instructions for the systems you're using.
Having the images posted directly here means we have an illustrated record of the glass and the discussion about it for posterity and for future research.

I think these are really quite interesting glasses.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand