No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looking for someone to manufacture oversized glass domes  (Read 2228 times)

Offline EricS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • buyer
    • United States
Looking for someone to manufacture oversized glass domes
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:35:50 AM »
Hi there,
I have two oversized glass domes in my studio (like the one in the picture) that measure approximately 30" tall with an 18" diameter.  I'm looking to have a run of about 50 of these produced however I'm being turned down from manufacturers left and right because of capabilities - since these domes are so much larger than standard sizes no one can seem to make them.  I'm looking to identify a manufacturer that might be able to produce these for me, however since I'm a little ignorant to how these are produced I thought I would also see if anyone can help me wrap my head around how pieces like this are made.  Say I wanted to have 50 made.  Would a mold be produced that each piece would be made from, or is each piece handblown?
Anyway, one of the pieces that I have looks old (it has the tell-tale swirls and markings of antique glass) and the other one looks newer - it has a little pyrex logo on the bottom.  Both of them are from estate sales and no one knows where they actually were made. 
If anyone has any leads with production or feels like giving me a little insight as to how a run of these would be produced I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks so much!
-Eric

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand