No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: GLASS CHARGER woth female face  (Read 2100 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: GLASS CHARGER woth female face
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
The AKCAM ones online appear to be similar to those John linked to.  But I'm a bit curious about the Op's bowl being from them as the back coating doesn't seem to be on the ones I could find online and also I didn't think Turkish glass had faces/people on it?
I can't remember where I read that though.

But I also think it is a recent piece.

OP, I bought a plate a few months ago, beautifully enamelled and gilded that I thought looked old, having looked at the white enamelling on it on photos online.
However, when it arrived, the enamelling does look old but I'm pretty sure it's a recent piece despite that.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »
I still can't remember where I read that information but came across this comment from an article in the NY Times 16 June 2006
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/16/arts/design/16anti.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0

'Glass furniture from companies like Osler (and its British competitors, Defries & Sons and the Coalbourne Hill Glass Works) had another distinct advantage. Because the glass cutting was geometric, not figural, the decoration was acceptable to Muslim rulers.

"There were no human figures or animals in the glass, so there were no problems," Mr. Smith said.'

It wasn't in reference to Turkey but replicates something I read elsewhere about Turkish glass (sorry I just cannot reference where I read it )
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
I forgot to check but I think at least some of these had made in Turkey labels, all in TK Maxx today.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MKennedy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and helpful sources.

In Ottoman and Turkish art there was presumption against the use of human and animal forms in decoration and art and it is unlikely that this facial pattern was produced for the Turkish domestic market.
In addition, if I make and inspired guess, the face, the hair waves and spray in the design represent Aphrodite (Gk) or Venus (Rmn). This is not a subject that Turkish designers would use for inspiration nor replicate.

So I coming to a conclusion that the design is Western European or influenced by western art.. I have recently seen glass given a similar treatment at a 'Living Craft' Fair but equally can accept that the design may have been sent to a manufacturer anywhere in the world.

M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand