No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help requested identifying miniature pwt. ID = Fratelli Toso  (Read 1379 times)

Offline sussexglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • u.k.
help requested identifying miniature pwt. ID = Fratelli Toso
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »
hi, haven't been on board for a while. sold my pwts, now miss them so starting collecting a new lot. Found this miniature millefiori in a job lot of old glass but cant find some of the canes anywhere. base is concave like a French one. 2 large bubbles on top and looks like its been repolished. Centre cane is transparent red with opaque outer and green/yellow centre. 2 unusual pictorial flower canes, one is dark purple/mauve. transparent coloured glass on outside of some of canes. 1 1/2 inches diam. any help greatly appreciated. thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: help requested identifying miniature pwt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »
I would say Fratelli Toso and circa 1910 - the canes used are found in the satin finish vases made by FT around that date.

Another small paperweight including two matching canes and an example of a satin vase. Interesting that both the weights have big air bubbles...

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sussexglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • u.k.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »
Many Thanks John for your prompt and informed response.  I was thinking there may be an Italian craftsman behind those 2 flower canes it but couldn't put 2 + 2 together. Looking at your pwt it seems quite a bit of mine has been polished off. is the pwt in your collection or is it possible to know where the pic of other is located? Many thanks again for solving my puzzle. d.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 09:30:42 AM »
I don't collect weights and I sold it some time ago. I don't believe yours has been reduced in size at all, they are the same size - I took the first photograph with the weight immersed in water which alters the way light is bent, changing the optical effect - you will need someone more knowledgeable than me to explain how that happens!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand