No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Glass Cups/Goblets?? Isle Of Wight??  (Read 590 times)

Offline djkglass

• Members
ID Glass Cups/Goblets?? Isle Of Wight??
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:38:14 PM »
Any ideas?

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: ID Glass Cups/Goblets?? Isle Of Wight??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
I wonder if it could be Stuart Strathearn, very similar to one of the Impressions colours, never seen a goblet in this range before though. It is not like other Isle of Wight Studio goblets.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:55:10 PM »
For some reason it makes me think Will Shakspeare.
This is the nearest I could find - he makes gorgeous glass and they look similar to his weight of glass.  And he likes making goblets and glasses :)
http://www.pyramidgallery.com/product/paperweight-by-will-shakspeare/

Often signed really inconspicuously and difficult to find or read his sig - Shaks on the bottom somewhere normally.

Might not be him though (the feet on his pieces are normally very precise and not as fluid as the foot on yours) - but worth sending to ask - he's very nice.  I made a lovely Pimms glass with him this year :)

edited to add - he has a range called Seagrass on his website at the moment.  The colours are more colourful but it's similar.
I'm just a little reserved about the foot. Still think it's worth checking for his sig and even then if it's not there, sending a quick email to ask him.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »
My opinion is that it is most likely to be from IoWSG, but possibly something experimental, made during training or from the artist's shelves.
I've got a large, pink and white Stuart Strathearn Impressions vase in my mitts.
It has the coloured enamels standing fairly proud from the glass, the blue used is a pale opaque pastel, the pink blobs are not round, but large and jagged or small and elongated and the background white is kind of rough to the touch. The pink is pale and like the pastel blue, opaque.
The trails on Stuart Strathearn are very, very fine, I can't actually tell what colour they are - they look just like a line drawn with a pencil.
Piccies of an Impressions vase, showing the textures and colours of the decor.

The pattern on this goblet is right for IoWSG, even if the shape is unusual.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »
I'm always loathe to mention it now, but the first thing that did spring to mind was William Walker (but didn't want to say anything as all the pieces I could find seemed to be signed).
Did he make anything like this at IOW?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:24 PM »
Strike the Impressions idea, those colours are not what I thought at all.

Link here to IoWSG Kyoto Cherry goblets: http://www.artiusglass.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IOWSGKyotoChPairGobs.jpg

Kind of close but no match.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand