No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help: Iridescent Amethyst Vase - Shield mark. European?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline walkabout

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass
    • United States
Re: ID Help: Iridescent Amethyst Vase - Shield mark. European?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
Poschinger have been making glass since 1568 - there will have been very many ranges in that time... Very little glass is marked, so when it is someone often knows the mark, especially when it's got a handy letter (P) in this case. It's really only the crowns that can be confusing

Thank you for just saying it in plain language.

I am really curious.  Is it common for responses to be so obtuse?  Is there some reason why it can't be said that there is a 90% probability that it is such and so because I recognize the mark but just can't give a particular date or name of a person?  Not everyone may recognize the 'pattern' in the shield to be the letter 'P', or may see it as something else.  I really do appreciate the help and information, but having to play '20 Questions' isn't everybody's favorite passtime. /rant

Thank you for the help.  I will get in touch with the folks there and see what they can tell me about the vase.  Your assistance is truly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »
Next time you have a question do not ask me.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline walkabout

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »
Next time you have a question do not ask me.

Thank you.

Offline walkabout

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
Update:  A return e-mail signed Benedikt Freiherr Poschinger says that the vase is of their manufacture and dates to around 1982.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
Thank-you for the update.
I suspect there has just been misunderstanding all round. You are clearly not familiar with how obtuse glass markings can be, and we were rather taken aback that you expected to be able to find your vase on the current site. The link was provided so you could contact them to ask, not to search the site for this item.

This site is about research into, discussion about and identification of glass. We don't chuck about statements such as 90% probability, we look for documentary evidence and sources.

The Poshinger website makes the same statement as Lustrousstone quoted when you thanked her for stating things clearly. If you had read the website, you'd have understood without resorting to insults.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline walkabout

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
Good day,

I'm not/was not attempting to insult or attack anybody.  I was asking a couple of questions.  I do not think them insults as the person who seems to have taken the most exception strongly indicated the knowledge of recognizing the mark and a nearly as strong indication of having seen the piece is a catalogue.  I was curious - and still am - as to why that wasn't simply stated.

As far as 'chucking around statements',  What else is 'it has many of the points of ...' without naming the points? (merely a poor  example)

I do apologize for any discord I may have inadvertently caused.  I will now go away.

(The help is still appreciated)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
Please return if you have any other glass questions.

It is unfortunately very easy for misunderstandings to occur when the only form of communication is a written message - there is no body language, tone of voice or all the other clues we are used to interpreting when we communicate face to face.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »
Some of us are not posting using our first languages and we have to take cultural differences in communicating into account too.

Some extremely experienced folk who are only here at all in order to give their time and knowledge freely, do quite understandably get a little bit tired of repeating themselves over and over and over, for years, answering the same old questions for newbies again and again and again.
We can all get a little jaded and bored sometimes, and we all have other lives.  :)

I did not understand why you were complaining about the link you were given and I was completely taken aback by your complaining about the responses, which is why I took it to be insulting.
But perhaps that's our (yours and mine) cultural differences. ;D

Don't, please, be put off coming back with any other queries.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »
Good day Ivo,

Yes, that site was recommended and I've looked there. 

Hi Walkabout -- Welcome over here too  :-* 

Glad you took my recommendation to post your piece here and got a speedy reply.  There are a Great Bunch of Glass Lovers over here too.  Some of them are here and over at CW too. 

I think I have been here for over 9 years now or more and know they are a Great Bunch here, so thus -- My recommendation to you to post here.  Thanks

;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand