No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 5kg Kosta lamp base  (Read 899 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
5kg Kosta lamp base
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
This 5kgs beast of a lamp base is signed Kosta 65 and what I think could be Lindstrand but not sure.
45 cm tall and 11cm dia at the base.
Is the signature the year of manufacture 65 and do others think it is a Lindtrand piece.
Many thanks
Malcolm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: 5kg Kosta lamp base
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »

There was one at auction signed Kosta 63 Lindstrand, but they don't show a signature. Most of his pieces which are signed are not cursive writing. There are slight differences in his signature, but it is different writing on glass than on paper, see here https://www.artsignaturedictionary.com/artist/vicke.lindstrand
There are plenty on the internet, so I'd say, have a look to compare as you have the lamp in hand.  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »
regret I don't have experience of these pieces, but some information direct from Vigier & Pina  ('Smoke & Ice')  might be of interest.

Appears Lindstrand was with Kosta from 1950 - 1973, and during early 1950s and 1960s most pieces were marked 'Kosta', with a designer code followed by a secondary code which indicated the type of glass, and a four digit production No. - but not, it seems, the designers name.                I'm not sure what type of glass this piece might be described as.               
During the early 1970s the signatures and markings changed to include the designers signature, as well as a five digit production No.  -  it gets quite complex after this with various letters/codes etc., but being earlier your piece should have been simpler, although going by these authors it seems those pieces from the '60's wouldn't have shown a signature, but would probably have included an upper case L for Lindstrand.
Presumably, like many of the Scandi factories, signatures were mostly that of a company employee, as opposed the actual designer, so type of writing not restricted to one worker, and can vary.

In said book it appears that most pieces had a fairly large circular ground/polished pontil depression but not sure I'm seeing this on your glass, and regret I can't match the lettering on your piece with the Lindstrand signature in the book  -  although that not a conclusive feature remotely.              Would agree that signatures on glass appear often not to be cursive, presumably for obvious reasons of difficulty of writing on glass, so your piece unusual in that respect.            All of the Kosta signatures I can see show letters created individually.

regret of no help  -  going back a few years we did have some people with much knowledge of Scandi glass, but they mostly now absent.

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
Thanks Della and Paul S. for your observations I did find very similar lamp bases on the web after some hunting
 http://www.remains.com/product/atl1887/kosta-table-lamps.html

Many thanks
Malcolm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
I wondered why you described this as a lamp base, now I know. ;D

I had what was essentially the same design but mine was much smaller, more of a paperweight...

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand