No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: some of my newest additions to my family of Monart  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: some of my newest additions to my family of Monart
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »
I think you mean uranium for glowing under UV

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »
We were talking about the stuff that glows but not as much as uranium, the manganese.

Yes, Roberta, it's the manganese that turns purple in sun-purpled glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »
A "green glow" under longwave uv light in Monart glass (pre- and post-war) and also in Ysart Brothers glass (1946-1955) is normally due to the manganese. It can usually only be seen in the clear glass.

In my experience (mostly with paperweights) the shade of the "green glow" can vary from a "yellow green" to a "not so bright regular green". Some of the "earlier" millefiori canes with a substantial amount of clear glass (such as when used as the central core) can show up as a seemingly "very bright yellow green" which some folk claim is an indicator of uranium. Whether that is the case or not well beyond my knowledge.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand