No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: handblown small Romer /Roemer handtrailed,notched trail,raspberry prunts - help  (Read 4814 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Craig thanks, do either of them have a cut and polished rim?  or are they both firepolished - just interested to know.  I'm curious about the rim of mine. And the foot of the one on the right in the pic...can you feel the rings inside the foot or is it trailed onto a smooth interior if you see what I mean.  It looks different to the one on the left which looks as though it may have been hand trailed?
Just to add - I'm not under any misconception that mine is a 16th/17th c piece, I'm just curious about the differences similarities and trying to work out whether mine is 19thc or made last week in Sweden  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Hi Miranda, The one on the right is ribbed on the interior of the foot the same as on the exterior......  Kind of like it was a long coil that was laid into a mold one turn at a time..... if that makes any sense....  Both have a fire polished rim and both have a rough pontil mark up inside the foot. The one on the left is a little textured on the interior, but more just irregularity in the glass from production than any pattern that follows the trailings. The thickness of the glass in the bowl is quite different in the two. Hope this helps..... 

I do not know if mine are that old for sure or not...  Just what the old paperwork with them said when I bought them.....  They are really fascinating pieces......
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks :) The rims are both different to mine but it sounds as though the foot of yours on the right must be mould made like mine.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I was in the Rijksmuseum yesterday (a much reduced, during their seemingly lengthy renovations as I'm sure it was closed when I was there a few years ago, but still fabulous collection :) ) and saw similar to these reproductions in their shop, posted on my link below
http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/webwinkel/search.jsp?query=roemer&lang=nl
There were no reproductions the same shape or size as my 'Thewalt' roemer (a 17th century original of which is in the Rijksmuseum collection) and they were a different construction to my roemer.  The pontil mark or join mark at the top of the hollow trumpet foot was different and the rims of all the ones I saw were firepolished. 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I came across this article whilst searching for something else and it mentions how the open hollow foot of the roemers was made
the article is on the link below and within it it says
Quote 'They consisted of a Foot made of a glass thread which was spun around a wooden form, and a hollow shaft which extended to the roundish or ovoid bowl.'
 http://www.barclayglassgallery.blogspot.co.uk/
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Interesting article. A little insight into the techniques used to make  them.....  Thanks for posting it....

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
my links have gone but I came across this Thewalt-Römer  again looking for some info on Dirk's roemer
http://www.bv-4.de/index.html?/historie_industrie_glas.html

Looking at other similar Roemers and the way they are made (Thusnelda), I think this Thewalt-Römer is the correct id for mine:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3166503_6-thusnelda-roemer-koeln-ehrenfeld-glass-rummers

http://www.glaswolf.de/Roemer_THUSNELDA_Koe.210+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMTAmcHJvZHVjdElEPTE1NjQmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9MjEwJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand