No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bolton, Son & Wood Rd. 310657 dated 04.06.1877  (Read 3495 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Bolton, Son & Wood Rd. 310657 dated 04.06.1877
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 08:16:07 PM »
honestly  >:(   I mean I know there has to be some system, but do they have to make it so complicated?
It's a piece of local history for goodness sake.  And you have the ready made information to give them as well.

That's what makes it so easy to just take it back to the charity shop and why history gets lost in the process  ::)

Glad you contacted them though  :)

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »
judging by the comments from the person with whom I was discussing this today, I have a strong feeling they will take me up on the offer of the glass...........fingers crossed.                It may possibly be the case that with local galleries and museums that space and storage might be issues, but I've no knowledge of this particular venue, so not sure.
will let you know the outcome. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »
I had just the same kind of problems when offering to donate Stourbridge-made pressed glass items to the Broadfield House Glass Museum.

I can understand the need for discussions and vetting committees when public finance is required to purchase expensive items for a museum or gallery collection, but when donors offer items of obvious local interest and importance free of charge (plus the research to back up the relevance of the items to the locality) then surely common sense should enable the museum to be able to accept such donations easily, graciously and gratefully without undue fuss and bureaucracy.

Sadly, even if donations are accepted, in so many cases they will simply languish in storage.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »
Arts funding is I think, a major problem.
I get very (unreasonably) cross when I know there are glass items in storage in museums (Stourbridge, V&A, British Museum) but there is no photograph online or just a header stating the item and then no further information.  Actually I could live without the further information if they just put a darned photograph online. 
It really makes me irritated and cross.  I know it's a question of security, paying photographers etc, but I think it's something that should be paid for.  The items are there, that way they can stay in storage, but just show us a photograph of it please.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »
sadly some element here I think of what is and what isn't popular  -  on most of the occasions I visit the V.& A. glass galleries there is rarely more than one or two folk browsing  -  sometimes only me :(
As opposed to ceramics, paintings, books, furniture, I suspect that our subject is either at or very close to the bottom of the list of subjects that they consider to generate an income from the public.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 05:39:17 PM »
When I offered to donate some pieces to the Manchester Art Gallery, they also wanted to go through this process of discussing it at their regular meeting. Storage is a problem because even having one of each design would be too much. Their criteria was that any piece should be sufficiently artistically different to other items in the glass collection. They took 1 out of 6 ...!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
Paul, Neil, that's the problem really.
Hopefully having information here on the GMB in photographic as well as informational format, will be the definitive guide to most people (glass interested people) though. 
Paul I was on my own in there a few weeks ago.  I took loads of photos.  Unfortunately I didn't realise I couldn't search by museum number once I was home (which I could on their own screen on the top floor so assumed I would be able to at home),  having carefully taken photos with museum numbers showing so I could do so on my return  >:( really really annoying.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »
m  ...........   on my brief visit the other day I found something I needed to photograph, but didn't have my camera, so will be back there in the coming week.         If there was something in particular you wanted to know, I could photograph the ticket/label for you when I return, but suspect your requirements run into battalions of labels, so you'll need to return yourself...............   such a shame you don't live nearer. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »
oh thanks :)
no it's lots of items really.  I just wanted to be able to put in the inventory number at home and look them up.  Absolute pita when I realised.  But thanks so much for your kind offer :)
m

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 03:40:48 PM »
A bit off topic, but... I recently visited a museum (Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia) wherein they have a section where there are vast numbers of items in storage, but still seeable by the public (tons of glassed in drawers, etc.) AND they have it all catalogued on computer so you can sit at home in your jammies with a cup of tea and look at everything they have!

http://collection-online.moa.ubc.ca/

Incredible number of hours could be spent here! (Although if you're in the 'hood, it's really a great place to visit in person as well)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand