No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Derbyshire Celery Rd. 274961  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
John Derbyshire Celery Rd. 274961
« on: June 08, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »
On the 8th of August 1873, John Derbyshire Registered three separate and distinct designs  -  Nos. 274961, 62 and 63, which correspond to the original factory drawings as attached.           Believe we've had images of all three Rd. Nos. on the Board previously, but of these it's Rd. 274961 which is the more important Registration as it was issued originally to protect multiple shapes, although only two of them are shown on the factory drawing  -  however, I've included pix of the goblets just in case we've not seen them before.
The design for 274961 is described by the factory as 'pineapple' pattern, and the original Registration shows an open sugar and a creamer, as you can see in the attached drawing.

Not sure how many different shapes in total are covered by this 'pineapple' pattern, but certainly the sugar, creamer, and in Neil's link here
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/derbyshire-brothers-designs-by-date/derbyshire-brothers-1873-1874
there is another shape which looks as though it might be a decorative item only  -  sort of wine glass, but don't think you would actually use it as such.                  There is also a salt which is included in Neil's link.

I now have a celery with lozenge and JD anchor, with this 'pineapple' design, which confirms it's also part of Rd. 274961 - regret can't photograph the marks as they're at the bottom of the inside, but lozenge details correspond to this Rd. No.  -  there is a small numbered sticker on the underside of the foot  -  an indication of a previous collector perhaps.
I did look on the Board's search but wasn't aware of seeing this celery  -  but may have missed it.                   Do we know the full range of shapes included under Rd. 274961?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: John Derbyshire Celery Rd. 274961
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
Thank you for showing these design representations again, Paul.

I don’t know of any photos of the RD 274961 creamer, and yours is the only photo that I know of showing the RD 274961 celery.

There also seems to be a lack of photos of the RD 274962 goblet.

Fred.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »
After reading another link tonight i thought i would put this on as i can not see it in the glass gallery. RD 274963.

There is a blurred pic on The History of Molineaux & Webb, what would the 258 mean?.

6 3/4 inches in height, 3 1/4 inches across the rim and base.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:06:28 PM »
If you look at Neil's reply in the attached link, he refers to 258 as the J.D. pattern No. for Rd. 274963  ...........
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53689.msg304630.html#msg304630

You're probably correct about there not being a picture of this goblet -in the flesh - so to speak, on the Board's Gallery..........   although off the cuff I would have imagined there was one, but if you've checked and not found it, then obviously not.

Some of the these J.D. goblet patterns seem to have a confusing pattern/Rd. history, judging by the various recent comments.

This is a nice piece and a very good and clear set of marks.

P.S.   there is of course an 'in the flesh picture', from Neil's site, which is reached via one of Fred's links in the above link of mine - but it's not on our Gallery - just borrowed from Neil :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:05:48 AM »
Thank you for the photos of RD 274963, Chris. I will add them (duly credited) to the GMB RD database gallery shortly.

Fred.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 10:11:59 PM »
Here is the creamer, no makers mark.
Regards Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 08:29:44 AM »
great piece Mike   -  love that oily vaselineeeee u. look. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand