No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson comport #807?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
Davidson comport #807?
« on: July 01, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
Hi, This is an open query but asked more specifically of Fred, as it refers to pictures in both the Davidson and Sowerby galleries:
Hi Fred,
I have the same comport/tazza as the unknown one at the top of page one in the Davidson gallery(http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=1013). I think it may be # 807 on the same 'Jellies or Sweetmeats' page of the 1880-1910 catalogue (http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/archiv/pdf/pk-2010-1w-04-mb-davidson-1888-1910.pdf)(page 5 centre of penultimate row), as recent topic #229. Also, does it not bear a striking similarity to the one on the final page of the Sowerby gallery(http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=1001&page=44)? 
I'd appreciate your views on this.
Kind regards
Nick

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Davidson comport #807?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:07 PM »
Thank you, Nick.

Herewith the catalogue illustration for the Davidson 807 jelly or sweetmeat for more ready reference than a link.

The Glass Queries Gallery link that you give for my Davidson ‘unknown’ pattern seems to be that for the start of the gallery rather than the individual item (which I think is http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-21677 and sequence ). This, if not a dead ringer for the Davidson 807 shape, is something unerringly close to it, and my photos show that the ‘8 inch diameter comport’ does indeed have the Davidson demi-lion trademark. What size is your ‘comport’?

Unfortunately, the catalogue entry for the Davidson #807 jelly or sweetmeat does not give a size. The corresponding Davidson catalogue images for unregistered designs of comports or salvers fail to show a matching pattern, and neither does there appear to be a close match for dish patterns. 

I’ve also checked my Glass Queries Gallery Sowerby pattern numbers album and, as you say, find
http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-22012 and sequence shows a Sowerby ‘unknown’ with photos the same photos as the Davidson ‘unknown’ entry. This is obviously not correct. It doesn’t appear in the Sowerby master reference files on my laptop, so I have obviously blundered somewhere with images and listing templates while uploading and  describing the Sowerby album images. I will try and tweak the Sowerby gallery to either delete the images or at least mark them as erroneous.

I have added the catalogue image for the Davidson 807 jelly or sweetmeat to the Glass Queries gallery Davidson album, and have altered the images for the Davidson ‘unknown’ comport to  be titled “Davidson pattern no. 807 ? comport” with the following description:

“Davidson comport, 8 inches top diameter; bears the Davidson demi-lion trademark.

Appears to be the same pattern as that shown as a Davidson 807 jelly or sweetmeat in their catalogue of unregistered designs 1880-1890. Unfortunately, the catalogue entry for the Davidson 807 jelly or sweetmeat does not give a size. The corresponding Davidson catalogue images for unregistered designs of comports or salvers fail to show a matching pattern, and neither does there appear to be a close match for dish patterns.” 

Hopefully, you should currently find the Davidson 807 ? comport images and Davidson 807 jelly or sweetmeat images together on page 32 of the Davidson album thumbnails.

Do you approve of the corrections, or do you think they could be improved? 

Fred.

Offline nick.a

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • pressed glass
    • england
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:07:58 PM »
Hi Fred,
Thanks for that. I'm just more than happy to have another confirmed pattern number.  My 'comport' is only 6" diameter and 4" high, so might it in fact be a sweetmeat?
 I've always been more than pleased and grateful for everything you've done with the galleries and hope you don't think that my query was in any way a criticism. I'm just glad that you've cleared up what I thought might have been Davidson or Sowerby 'sailing close to the wind' over copyright. 
Best Regards
Nick

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
There are a at least million and one ways, Nick, of making errors when trying to compile entries for the Glass Queries Gallery albums, especially when the same image is posted in more than one album.

I spent a significant spell in biomedical research, where 'peer review' was an integral part of communicating research results, and I am more than happy to have them critically examined so that they can either be justified or any errors pointed out and rectified. 

At the moment I have a significant backlog of images (mostly Sowerby and Davidson) waiting to be uploaded to the Glass Queries Gallery but I am sure when I do eventually knuckle down there will be lots of 'anomalies' for further examination and/or correction.

All part of life's rich pattern (and at least it is gratifying to know that the albums are of use to other 'searchers in dark corners').

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand