No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Duncan Webb Registration 111290  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Duncan Webb Registration 111290
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:40:41 AM »
According to Jenny Thompson, a Manchester glass maker, who appears to have Registered four items during 1888  -  there may be others but I've looked a year or so either side of this date and couldn't find any, and the Board's search appears to include nothing that I could see under this name.
Length of this little dish is about 5.5" - and a little over 1.5" deep.

On the 17th of October 1888 two Registrations are recorded - 111289 and 111290 and it's the second of these showing here.         It has the appearance of a sauce boat perhaps, or maybe a master salt  -  whether the design originally included anything else, such as an under plate I've no idea until I get to Kew and look in the archives  -  and I'll do the same with Nos. 111289, 104759 and 107409 from July, September and October of the same year.

If anyone has additional information regarding Duncan Webb, feel free to add as it appears we aren't exactly knee deep in knowledge about them.

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Duncan Webb Registration 111290
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »
Well my guess is you've uncovered some Molineaux Webb registrations that I have missed. The company passed from Thomas George Webb to Duncan Webb in 1887. There were no further registrations under the company name until 1889. So it looks like Duncan Webb may have registered a few under his own name by mistake.

More details please...!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
many thanks for your contribution Neil..........    as mentioned I'll get back to Kew in next week or so, and will photograph the other Registrations from DW and post all details here, promptly.

Feel free to use the above pix if of use to you.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 04:55:07 PM »
Nice find, Paul.

I see that Raymond Slack (pages 136/137) has the registrant of RD 111282 (sic.) and RD 111290 on 17 October 1888 as Duncan Webb, Molineaux, Webb & Co., Manchester.

Slack also gives the registrant of RD 104759 on 31 July 1888 and RD 107409 on 6 September 1888 as Duncan Webb, Molineaux, Webb & Co., Manchester.

It will be very interesting to see the photos of the actual registration details from TNA.

Still lots of undiscovered treasures out there for 'searchers in dark corners' then..

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »
yes, it's quite possible that when I get to Kew the Archive will give the Registrant's full name in the form that Slack quotes  -  will have to wait and see.
Not quite sure why Jenny Thompson doesn't do the same, if that is the case.

Think you meant to quote pages 186 and 187 in Slack? :)

I forget now where this piece came from - one of my charity shop bargains I'm sure  -  can you do me a favour and add to the Pressed Glass archive  -  I'm running very slow at present, and if you want better/larger pix let me know.     thanks.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »
You're quite correct, Paul - pages 186/187 in Slack it is.

My 'usual' laptop has been less than reliable lately and so I've had to bite on the bullet and purchase a new one (which is running Windows 10 rather than Windows Vista) this morning. The learning curve is quite steep and I'm having to learn many new computational tricks, but I did discover how to transfer photo files between the two machines a couple of hours ago and am part way through moving my 9,000+ pics to a (hopefully) more secure abode. Your pics of the Duncan Webb piece are already safely transferred into their new home and, assuming that I can navigate my way around the new photo file directories and remember my passwords to access the Glass Queries Gallery RD database, I will upload them to the album within the next couple of days.

Fred. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 05:30:42 AM »
Am certain that whatever difficulties you're experiencing, you will never be as lowly as me in the pc knowledge rankings  -  I have never 'taken' to modern technology - or perhaps it's never taken to me - and in view of this am so proud of my success at wtmkg. and up-loading pix etc.
However, my sons, like so many younger folk, are geniuses compared to me.
Passwords are another bane in life  -  I have three or four foolscap size sheets covered with a variety of these secret cyphers - I'd never remember them all so have to commit to paper.

I think it can be said with some certainty that it's a blessing that we have you on the GMB ;D                     As mentioned, I won't get back to Kew for perhaps another 7 - 10 days, and already there are several Registrations to investigate  -  but if you have one or two you wish to add, within that time frame, let me know.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »
despite the apparent comments by Raymond Slack, stating that these Registrations are in the name of 'Duncan Webb, Molineaux, Webb & Co., Manchester' - you'll see from my photos from today that the Kew Archives image from the original Board of Trade Register shows simply Duncan Webb., and this is the same for all four Registrations from 1888 for this company.              Also as you can see from the one sample Register entry I've posted, this was Registered as CLASS IV  -  and in fact all four Register entries show the same CLASS.                Haven't a clue where Ray. Slack sourced the information of the longer name.

First picture here relates to the subject heading i.e. Rd. 111290, and subsequent pix relate to the only other known Duncan Webb Registrations - thus making a total of four and all from 1888.

I just take the pix  -  so will leave others to comment with further information if available. :)

four pix here  -  three more to follow..........

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »
and the last three.                  quite what the design difference between Rd. 104759 and 107409 is, I'm not sure  -  they appear to look very similar and to be ink wells, possibly?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »
just a thought  -  might it be an idea to amend the subject heading to something like ....    'Duncan Webb Registrations' :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand