No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hailwood & Ackroyd Registrations  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hailwood & Ackroyd Registrations
« on: July 28, 2016, 04:15:17 PM »
Art deco decorative glass designs for lighting shades and panels from the 1930s probably never lose their appeal, although ceiling shades aren't exactly the easiest of pieces to display, and I've looked back on the Board but don't see anything of substance in the way of discussion specifically on these things.     
So there may be limited interest in the National Archive Registered designs from Hailwood & Ackroyd which I've attached, but always possibly it might start a new trend in collecting ceiling shades.   
I suspect that their very desirable 'Hailware' art glass is too rare for collectors to find, and their pressed pieces seem equally scarce.     The company did produce one or possibly two frosted deco style light panels, but for whatever reason didn't expand that side of the market in the same way as Jobling and Walsh.

Nigel has commented elsewhere that there are apparently more than 300 Registered designs from H. & A. - presumably mostly for commercial and domestic lighting shades and related items, but I'm really not sure.            Believe they are well known for a design for a miners lamp, but have to say I've not seen one.

According to the Blue Book, on the 20th of August 1934, H. & A. Registered five designs for glass ceiling shades - four of which I have included here.......    unfortunately, I don't have all five and I've no idea why  -  can only think I turned two pages instead of one.    Will look again next time.

I know less than nothing about Hailwood & Ackroyd, so if anyone cares to add to this thread please feel free, and if anyone has any of the shades shown in the designs here would be good to add a picture of one in the flesh so to speak.                  The Kew images show these in monochrome, and I've no idea if they were actually made in some form of opalescence, translucent or even clear versions.             Perhaps someone might be able to tell us.

These pix will spread over two posts.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Hailwood & Ackroyd Registrations
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 04:17:04 PM »
and the other two designs  -  Rd. 795742 and 795743  ......

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 05:44:55 PM »
Very little is known about Hailwood & Ackroyd, or its preceding company Ackroyd & Best.

When I did this work a couple of years back hoping to find some art glass representations, all I came up with was lamp shades or panels, such as found in BGBtW 'The Charioteers'.

Most adverts suggest that the shades were either opaque (White or Ivory), or patterned. My observations suggest that the patterns were often black transfers and either hand painted or sprayed.

There are often hand painted codes, but as yet I haven't been able to record enough of them to break that code - although on some occasions they do appear to have a date. As yet none seem to be consistent!

My initial interest was through the art glass that appears from time to time with an acid etched mark. Apropos that, Manley says that it is only worth collecting pieces if they are marked. I say, you wouldn't know they were Hailware unless their marked.

Even though I have met a part of the Hailwood family and photographed their collection of glass unless they were marked I wasn't prepared to believe an item was by the company. Indeed there was a piece of Pyrex that was pulled out of the cupboard that was initially thought to be by Hailware! Difficult to point that sort of thing out I have to tell you.

Because of the lack of catalogues (I have one which yet again deals with lighting) the representations help with dating, but still only keep us in the world of lighting, whether commercial, or domestic. They also produced their own metal ware for the light fittings.

I have kept my research quiet since so little comes along through the internet and visiting various source materials is both time consuming and expensive (if you travel to Leeds and want to stay to go through the small amount of material in the archives, etc., then overnighting is a must.).

So far advertising locally has borne very little other than what should be regarded as hearsay, although the appeal through my website has over the years. The 'good' thing about hearsay of course is that you can follow that thread to see where it might lead ;)

Cheers, Nigel

PS. Sadly I have been unable to do any research this year since my Mum passed away, and am unlikely to until her estate is sorted out, however any imformation would be gratefully received and filed for future use. [Credits always given/made]. Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
many thanks Nigel for your interesting contribution  -  perhaps like so many pieces of 'older' domestic wares, a lot of these shades were binned in the late middle C20 when domestic design was changing to minimalist/Scandinavian and exposed light bulbs etc.   .........    it hurts to think of how much desirable glass and ceramics that must have gone into the dustbin at that time.              Have a feeling that the designs I've shown are probably now scarce, but you never know, this thread might jog a memory or two and we might yet see some more H. & A. designs in the flesh.

Wasn't aware of your recent and very close bereavement  -  my condolences and sympathies and trust you manage to sort out matters before too long.  :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »
From
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/manh-k.htm
Hailwood & Ackroyd, Morley, Leeds, England (1920s - 1930s)
Formerly Ackroyd & Best. Mainly lighting, but also cut, cased, coloured & enamelled tableware & decorative glass. 282 designs registered 1929-1937.

An introduction to Hailwood and Ackroyd and some of their domestic glassware at
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hailwood_and_Ackroyd

Lots of images of H & A Miner's Lamps to be found in Professor Google's virtual box of tricks.

Fred

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
thanks for the links Fred  -  there is obviously a substantial catalogue volume so to speak, but most lighting wares - for obvious reasons - have not appealed to the general collector............    apart maybe from the well known Walsh 'Vesta' panels, and some Jobling pieces.
However, this thread may provide a little of interest for H. & A. products should anyone find such pieces in the future and need some information.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand