Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Malta Glass

Identification of an iriscendant glass vase, ID = Phoenician Glassware

(1/2) > >>

rdorrer:
Dear glass collectors, I am a beginner so please forgive me any mistake I may perform (and also I am not a native English speaker).
I put a pic of a small irisendant vase I found on a charity market a few months ago here in Vienna. It stands 18cm high and has an oval shape. It is marked on the bottom but I cannot read it - see 2. pic.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

chopin-liszt:
I actually recognise the glass, it is Phoenician, from Malta.
(I've been after one of these for a long time!)
But what I seem to be able to read on the base is Mtarfa. Also Maltese. I'm confused. ;D

Welcome!

Can you try taking another photo of the mark on the base, but rub a little talcum powder over the marks first, to help make them clearer?

I cannot speak any language other than english, so you are already far better than I am. :)

(I've been peering again, perhaps the bit I think says "Mtarfa" says Malta? and there is something above that?)

The talcum powder trick should help!

rdorrer:
Thank you Sue, you helped me a lot, now I could verify that it is "Phenician" and "Malta". As I never heard of this production before, I was not able to read it.

Have a beautiful sunday evening -
from Vienna - Rosemarie (it i very hot here, summer with 30C)

--- Quote from: chopin-liszt on July 24, 2016, 03:48:39 PM ---I actually recognise the glass, it is Phoenician, from Malta.
(I've been after one of these for a long time!)
But what I seem to be able to read on the base is Mtarfa. Also Maltese. I'm confused. ;D

Welcome!

Can you try taking another photo of the mark on the base, but rub a little talcum powder over the marks first, to help make them clearer?

I cannot speak any language other than english, so you are already far better than I am. :)

(I've been peering again, perhaps the bit I think says "Mtarfa" says Malta? and there is something above that?)

The talcum powder trick should help!

--- End quote ---

chopin-liszt:
 :)
Wonderful, thanks for the extra images and your trouble taking them.
It is a beautiful little vase. This design/colourway is not common. I don't think Phoenician Glassblowers made many pieces.
The proper full name of the factory is "Phoenician Glassblowers".

rdorrer:

--- Quote from: chopin-liszt on July 24, 2016, 07:22:26 PM --- :)
Wonderful, thanks for the extra images and your trouble taking them.
It is a beautiful little vase. This design/colourway is not common. I don't think Phoenician Glassblowers made many pieces.
The proper full name of the factory is "Phoenician Glassblowers".

--- End quote ---
Thanks a lot - do you have an idea of the time it was made?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version