No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Glass Original drawings  (Read 896 times)

Offline Kellymarkmegan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Sowerby
    • North london
Sowerby Glass Original drawings
« on: July 25, 2016, 08:14:58 PM »
Hi All,

I'm wondering if you can please help me, i have been given a few boxes of original Sowerby glass drawings including catalogues, receipt books dating back over 100 years. The drawings are amazing with such detail. I believe these were drawn before the glass was ever made.  I wonder if someone could please point me in the correct direction of me gaining a approximation of the worth of these for me. Thank so much in advance for any help you can give me.

Kelly

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby Glass Original drawings
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
wow - what a treasure by the sound of it, and of immense intrinsic value to those of us who have an interest in C19 and C20 pressed glass.
Most, if not perhaps all, of the factory Registered designs - those patterns which actually saw the light of day in terms of the public - are stored in paper form at the National Archives at Kew in London, and can be accessed by the public.        Factory catalogues, especially from the C19, are also available in PDF and paper forms that have been reproduced in the latter part of the C20  -  so collectors already have a very good idea of what those catalogues contained. 

However, some proportion of your records may not have been seen previously, and if you've no objection am sure we would be interested in knowing the source of your finds, these things turn up so rarely, but of course no matter if you wish to keep this private.

My candid opinion is that people here will not wish to point you in the direction you wish  -  preferring instead to hope that such an archive might eventually reside in a museum - for obvious reasons in that the value of the interest can be enjoyed by everyone.
However, that's just a personal opinion and you can of course dispose of this material howsoever you choose :)

Am sure others here will wish to comment, and although I'm not qualified to help with your question as to a commercial sale, it does occur to suggest that you speak to Broadfield House Glass Museum, perhaps, as they are the custodians of much of this country's glass archive already and may wish to acquire your material.             Of course they may not, but it's always possible, and although you may not achieve your highest return in terms of money, you would have the satisfaction of knowing your records had gone to the best of possible homes.

Wish you luck :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand