No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling designs  (Read 962 times)

Offline Keencollector

• Members
Jobling designs
« on: October 02, 2020, 12:52:38 AM »
When I purchased this uranium bowl I was told but it was Jobling.  Sellers were glass dealers who had in the past had a large collection of Jobling.  I thought they would have identified it correctly but now I doubt that as looking at the Jobling designs on GMB it differs from Rd. no.824210.  It is marked British Make no Rd.No.  I would appreciate members thoughts on identification.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Jobling designs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 02:58:58 PM »
I'll have a go.  :)
Bagley; Salisbury pattern?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Jobling designs
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »
The maker has not determined as of yet as far as I know. This pattern and a related one (same dimensions but a flower and leaf pattern) do turn up occasionally. All I've seen have the 'British Make' mark. Despite the stylistic similarities, I think they are most likely not Jobling. The font of the 'British Make' text does not match that seen on the 2077 and 1054 bowls, the green colour is not a match either (noticeably bluer). Also, if this were Jobling, it would fit more with the art glass range bowls introduced 1932-33; however, the 'British Make' mark is earlier and only features on those designs whose introduction preceded the launch of the art glass range as far as I'm aware.

More reading here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38660.0.html
http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2008-1w-bateman-schale-british-make.pdf (includes the  floral pattern bowl seemingly from the same source).

There's also the possibility that these aren't even British. Spurious country of origin marks are not unknown on pressed glass of this era.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand