No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Derbyshire Lions or something else?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Derbyshire Lions or something else?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 08:38:20 PM »
TC et al — I'm glad this topic was resurrected as I found a reference to an identical lion in amber cloud glass on Chris & Val Stewart's web site here.

These lions are popularly attributed to Greener and also popularly attributed to the late C19, although I have never found any evidence to support either of these two claims.   Davidson acquired moulds from several glassworks besides Jobling/Greener.   I am not at all happy with the Greener attribution as the finish is generally not of their high standard.   I believe that you don't get a team of glassmakers dropping their standards of quality for just one product.   Or do you?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nicola

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »
Hi Bernard
I was interested with your comment about Greener and their standards - I always understood that their standards were slightly lower than Sowerby and Davidson. In my own collection, any items that have little fins of glass left on them, are leaning to one side, sunken or just generally wonky, it usually has a Greener mark on them!  Have I been doing a disservice to Greener all this time?
Thanks
Nicola

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 06:49:13 PM »
I know next to nothing about pressed glass but looking for something else, noticed a Saint-Louis Lion that has a similar looking base. Not sure the lion is quite the same but might be of interest.

From catalogue made available for down load by the Corning Museum. Page 120 of Catalogue, page 93 of download: https://www.cmog.org/library/moulures?search=library_collection%3A08a52ae67c8aab54f1173864adcb6f1f&page=231
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand