No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help, signature on paperweight, dated 6/83. ID = (N?) Fruman (USA?)  (Read 2034 times)

Offline raibos

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Hello.  Does anyone recognize the signature on this paperweight?  Nothing I'm coming up with is showing up in on-line searching (A FRUMM, V FRUMM, AFRUMM, FRUMM, FROMM etc.) 6/83 I assume is the date.  2 1/2" dia., 382 grams.  Pretty neat design, great color in the cane blobs (probably not the correct technical term!), big central trapped teardrop bubble.  Any help appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
Hi, maybe N Furman glass Murano ??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Krecik

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • USA

It's Fruman.  I could never find any information about the maker.  Googling Fruman yields a few pictures of vases and paperweights with the same signature.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59247.msg335374.html#msg335374

Offline raibos

• Members
    • United States
Thanks for the speedy replies.  I did a search on Fruman and was able to find several examples including some with the same thread and cane design but no info on the artist at all.  After another look at the signature I thought it might be Freeman, and a Google search led to Nancy Freeman, mystery solved.

From a LiveAuctioneers listing: Freeman's studio is located in New York state's Catskill Mountains and her stemware was selected by Vice President Mondale's wife as part of the permanent VP residence in the late 1970's.

Offline Krecik

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • USA
Good morning ,

Makes sense , that's why I could never find any info.   The signature was described as A or N Fruman  on so many items I never looked any farther.

Thanks.

Offline raibos

• Members
    • United States
Re: ID help, signature on paperweight, dated 6/83. ID = (N?) Fruman (USA?)
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
I found this on the Corning Museum of Glass website:

Nancy Freeman was a glassblower based in Ashokan in the Catskill Mountains of New York. Freeman earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the State University of New York at New Paltz in 1973, then became apprenticed to glassblower Henry Summa. After studying with Summa, she attended the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina in 1974. Freeman's work has been exhibited in many shows and is part of several museum and private collections. Vice President Mondale's wife chose her stemware for the permanent collection of the US Vice-Presidential Residence in the late 1970s. Freeman ran her own studio into the late 1980s.

http://libanswers.cmog.org/faq/144416

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand